3D Printing Group Meeting

I’ve talked with a few people recently about starting up a regular 3D printing group that would meet to share knowledge. We have some upgrades to install on our Prusa and a couple other members have the same printer and were interested in meeting up to do it so I think this would be a good start to gauge interest. Aside from accomplishing the upgrade, this would be a time for people to ask and answer questions about 3D printing, learn more about how the machines work, meet people who share their interest, learn and perform routine maintenance, etc.

I’ll be back in town on the 14th, so we could do it some time in the following week. Is there a particular day that people would prefer?

4 Likes

This sounds great! Sunday and Tuesday work for me most weeks.

1 Like

Weekend or fridays work for me!

+1 for Friday/weekend

I’m in! Any day during the week works for me if we do it in the evenings after 5:00, and any time on the weekends. Looking forward to helping with the Prusa “S” upgrade. Thanks Christian for getting this set up! Mike G

Seen this on YouTube today for the Prusa “S” upgrade and thought I’d share it with the group. This guy (Chris) really does a good job with instructions on his YouTube video’s. I know Prusa’s instructions are great as well, but thought this might give us a visual/video to help us along with the Prusa upgrade at the club. Mike G

1 Like

This would be cool to advertise to the local area…might get new members

1 Like

Okay, what would work better: Saturday the 15th or the 22nd?

This Saturday, the 15th works for me. I don’t have anything planned so whatever the consensus is for a time of day is fine with me. Mike G

The 15th works perfectly!

15th works for me as long as it’s after 5

Is this an mmu 2.0 upgrade on our prusa?

I’m down for this. The 15th works for me.

1 Like

John, this is an upgrade from the MK3 to the MK3S. When you buy a new Prusa, the MK3S is what you get now. It’s mainly an upgrade to the filament sensor. Instead of an optical sensor, it will be mechanical now. The optical sensor had trouble with some filaments that were light in color or transparent. Mike G

1 Like

Alright, let’s do 5:30 then. See you all on Saturday.

1 Like

We should do the mmu 2.0 upgrade soon. It would be cool to see 5 colors/ or materials print simultaneously. We would definitely stand out as a makerspace with that in place.

2 Likes

I’ll be there at 5:30 on Saturday. Not sure how long this upgrade will take, but I’ve attached the Prusa link to the upgrade manual. Mike G

https://manual.prusa3d.com/c/Original_Prusa_i3_MK3_to_MK3S_upgrade

Thanks to everyone who came out last month to help with the Prusa upgrade. It was a big help, and I think everyone learned a few things. Would August 3rd be a good date for the next meeting?

I’ve had a few people ask about setting up Octoprint, so I was thinking we could cover that next. The Ultimaker needs to be re-installed anyway since it is running an older version that can’t be automatically updated anymore. Are people interested in that?

The OctoPrint setup shouldn’t take too long, so we could definitely work on some other things as well. Anyone have any ideas?

3 Likes

OMG Octoprint makes the A8 so much easier. Is it’s slicer as good as Cura’s? My workflow right now is to slice it in cura, upload to Octoprint, and run. But I was thinking of using the Octolapse addon. I think Octoprint needs to slice it if you do that…I think?

I’m a newb to the 3D printer unfortunately the training event last night didn’t work with my schedule but I’m interested in attending the meeting and listening in to becoming more familiar. I’m available Aug 3, I will be out of pocket Aug 4-12 so if I miss it I will look forward to future trainings and meetings.

1 Like