3D Printing Club

I’ve been thinking about how awesome it’d be to have a fun group that met kinda regularly to work on, tinker with, and share knowledge about 3d printers!
Would anybody be interested? :smiley:

4 Likes

Paging @Christian…paging @Christian

1 Like

There was recent talk here 3D printer donation - #8 by whateg01

2 Likes

Yup! Exactly what sparked this idea. Maybe if we’ve got a few people interested we could set up a date/time and go from there? :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, we had some group meetings before we moved and it was fun. I’ve been planning on getting this going again but haven’t quite gotten around to it yet. I certainly wouldn’t object to someone else taking the lead on it. One of my goals is to recruit/train people that can help with maintenance on the 3D printers at MakeICT. I’ve been doing most of it, but I haven’t been able to completely keep up with it recently.

As far as a meeting time, my schedule is generally pretty flexible, at least with enough advance notice.

Here’s the original thread for the previous group: 3D Printing Group Meeting

3 Likes

I’d be interested, but I’m not sure how much time I can devote to it. I haven’t kept up with new developments as much as I used to. Though, as it gets more normal, plastic printer designs seem more homogeneous. (There were some whacky ideas some worked, some didn’t.)

2 Likes

Wacky? Hey scara arms seem somewhat viable to me.

Yeah, I might have to hop in on a couple of those meetings and bring pop some popcorn. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If anyone is free on Tuesday (the 24th) I’ve scheduled a 3D printer maintenance party from 6:00-9:00. Three of our four printers are currently in need of maintenance, so if you want to learn/help get them back up and running then come join us. Extra hands and brains are appreciated.

4 Likes

I’ll add it to my calendar! I’ll bring my “bucket of spare creality parts” as well. If there’s any interest I’d bring my Ender running Klipper and show some fun high-speed printing.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks! I’d be interested in seeing a Klipper demonstration.

1 Like

Just letting you know, I’ve got to stop by home to gather my printer supplies. I plan to be there around 6:30 this afternoon.

2 Likes

Did I miss the Klipper demo?

1 Like

Yea, but lmk and I’m happy to bring it another time!

1 Like

Thanks to @Ethan.Doak, @kip, @Dwain, @vanderbt, @brsmith7, and @shack for coming to help and hang out on Tuesday. We got the CR-10s and the Ender 5 Plus up and running again. There are a couple more things that need work on the CR-10s and the Ultimaker still needs to be fixed, so I’ll be in again next Tuesday (the 31st) at 6:00 to do some more work. Once again anyone who is interested is welcome to come by to help, learn, and chat about 3D printing.

Going forward I’d like to have 1 or 2 meetings per month to do regular maintenance/repairs, help people with their personal machines/projects, and discuss whatever 3D printery stuff we feel like at the time.

10 Likes

I’ve scheduled another maintenance/meeting time for Wednesday the 22nd 6:30-8:30pm. Open to anyone who is interested. We’ll do some maintenance, try to get the second extruder on the Ultimaker working again, answer questions, etc. If you have anything 3D printing related you want to show off or get help with then come join us.

Thanks to @brsmith7 for helping me with the Ultimaker last time, and @Dwain an @vanderbt for getting the bed on the CR-10s replaced.

4 Likes

Thanks again to @brsmith7 and @Dwain! We (hopefully) fixed an issue with the probe on the Ender 5, did some cleaning and oiling, and tweaked some of the start and stop G-codes on a couple of the printers.

These meetings are currently scheduled every other Wednesday 6:30-8:30. The current plan for the next one on Oct. 6th is to replace the extruders on the Ultimaker and look into adding filament sensors to it. This will require some changes to the firmware and some digging around in the electronics, so come join us if that interests you.

3 Likes

Last week we replaced the secondary extruder on the Ultimaker and did some testing. We also looked into the homing issue on the CR-10s. @brsmith7 printed out some cable chain to prevent wires from getting caught during the homing sequence. Next week we’ll get that installed, replace the primary extruder on the Ultimaker, and work on updating the firmware to support the newly added filament sensors.

As always anyone who is interested in learning more about the 3D printers or getting help with a project is welcome to join us during these times. They are currently on the calendar every other Wednesday 6:30-8:30. The next one is on the 20th.

4 Likes

Reminder: we’ll be in the Fab Lab tonight 6:30-8:30 working on the Ultimaker and CR-10s. If you have any 3D printing questions or want to help out or just watch then feel free to join us.

2 Likes

Tonight we’ll be doing some more work on the CR-10s. Last time @jameslancaster and I tore down the control box and started looking at getting the electronics mounted underneath the machine so we can route the wires more effectively.

We’ll probably also take a preliminary look at a Prusa clone that was donated by @Frank. It needs some work to get it up and running and should be a good troubleshooting project for anyone interested in learning more about that.

2 Likes

I’m out of town until January, so I removed the last December meeting from the calendar. Unfortunately both of the Creality printers are still down. If you’re interested in working on them let me know I can give you the details.

1 Like