2023 Season Communal Updates

On the blacktop, on the side nearest the garden I’d say

4 Likes

Deb from the extension office left me a message saying they had tomatoes starts available. Her number is 316-640-2507.

4 Likes

5 Likes

Today @lkirkland finished weeding and then planted fresh flowers in the mosaic flowerbed. She also pulled weeds all along the edges of the mulched main garden. Jesse planted melons in one communal bed after pulling out the rest of the greens, and mulched multiple areas. I started pruning and training the tomatoes, planted the rest of the swamp milkweed and did maintenance in the pollinator garden as well as in some of the main garden pathways.

7 Likes

It was another great workday in the Garden! Jay Swan and Lesley Kirkland spent time pulling substantial bindweed from around the vining tunnel, Rob DeTeau pruned the tomatoes up so they look REALLY tidy and have a lot more breathing room, and Jesse and April Schlenker were still watering and planting peppers, melons and sunflowers when I left!

Jesse’s boiling water experiment on the bindweed definitely worked, but was pretty time consuming. The master gardeners are using cardboard and straw to mulch their pepper bed. The butterfly milkweed in the pollinator garden has a disease so I will submit one of the plants for testing at Kansas State University’s Plant Pathology lab, but the swamp milkweed is doing nicely. There are blossoms on the calendula, verbena, coreopsis and some of the lantana. The hollyhocks are blooming in the mosaic garden! There are also sugar snap peas ready to be harvested every few days along the vining tunnel. A rabbit has been seen hiding under the ceramics pottery wheel, and an ornery squirrel is afoot also.

4 Likes

I’m thinking it’s about time to shutdown the grow-lights until we plant seedlings for the fall.

5 Likes

Sounds good to me

2 Likes

Extension Office is offering sweet potato slips. Call Lori at (316) 258-1722 if the garden wants them.

4 Likes