2023 Season Communal Updates

Let us also not forget that we’re in a drought, which will likely only get worse as we go through the summer, and water conservation is extremely important. Watering best practices should be encouraged for our community garden.

I tried to approach this as delicately as possible and even mentioned that I don’t want my words to be taken as condescending or rude. But even this approach is too much for this forum. It’s really kind of ridiculous.

2 Likes

Speaking of drought, I will be out Saturday and again Sunday morning for workdays. I have cardboard for mulching and ground staples which the tomatoes especially need. We can start harvesting the bok choy which Jesse and April planted, built a cold frame for, and have been watering religiously. The topsoil/compost mix for the raised beds will be delivered tomorrow around noon. Jesse has tilled daikon under for the beds we have built (and the other one we have lumber for) so we can get those positioned and filled.

So any of you who are available, please head on out to the garden this weekend! Shoot me a message to let me know when you can be there. I’m sure Saturday I’ll be there by noon if not before and will spend several hours. Sunday I plan to be around from 10-3.

Looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish!

3 Likes

If anyone would like some ground tree leaves for mulch, I have a lot. Let me know and I can bag some and drop them off.

3 Likes

I’m here now working on my bed and weeding a bit of the communal areas. The lettuce inside is ready to plant. Would you like me to move it to the outdoor bed? I’m not sure if it’s an individuals or for community.

2 Likes

Sorry I didn’t see this earlier - busy at work. There were a couple of trays that were Bee’s but the are others which are good to be planted

2 Likes

No worries! The middle
Schoolers from EIA are here… do you have a specific areas you want them to work on today?

2 Likes

If the other activities we had prepared (hydroponics and seed bombs) aren’t enough, pulling bindweed in the mulched main part of the garden (keep them away from the peas and radish only) is pretty technically simple

4 Likes

Between the vining tunnel and the in ground plots is a big space to work

2 Likes

I’m not sure about the activities but they are out here now and asked me… I (thankfully) had directed them to weed the area you just mentioned. Also, I watered the peas today. And the radishes in the raised bed are ready to chomp!

4 Likes

Thanks!!!

2 Likes

Going to wait on the lettuce indoors so I don’t take Bee’s.

4 Likes

I would love to have some tree leaves for mulch if they’ve not been sprayed with pesticides in the season before they fell. The pollinator garden, poison garden, and mosaic garden for sure need thick layers. @Pinbot I think you said you had some too and I could use all that I could get! We can add them to the in ground dirt for organic matter also.

3 Likes

I have a compost pile behind the shop. Ill see if i can use the skidsteer to scoop the layer of leaves off the top and ill put it in a green dumpster bag that can be drug around. Just fold it up and put it somewhere and let me know and pick it back up. Ill message before i drop it back there

4 Likes

Quick Garden appreciation post! That bok choy is a beauty!

6 Likes

Do you want grass clippings from confirmed unsprayed yards? Do weeds matter? No stickers mostly fescue

2 Likes

If they definitely haven’t been sprayed and yeah don’t have those horrific little stickers then sure, we would love grass clippings!

2 Likes

Its my person property and it was last sprayed in August and had a slow release fert put on in nov. The backyard has never been treated and is 50% fescue 50% weeds ill be mowing it this weekend

3 Likes

It may be a couple of weeks before I can get the leaves bagged and down there.

3 Likes

In a couple of weeks we will still need the leaves, @Woodman, that’s for sure!

@Pinbot yes your backyard grass clippings would be excellent!

2 Likes

Ill be dropping this bag off tonight in the garden. Its untreated clippings and leaves. Just fold the bag up and leave outside with something heavy on it so it doesnt stink up the building

Best place to drop it?

4 Likes