2022 Growing Season!

I’d just present it to the board for a quick approval at the next board meeting. Just write up a very short bulleted list of how you want to use it (ie laser cut a sign for outside, on the Garden wiki page, etc.). I don’t expect you’ll have any issues.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, Patrick!

I only brought up the acceptable use policy because you’d mentioned adding it to the rental agreement, which sounds like an official document, and probably therefore falls within the class of

official MakeICT branded materials that appear in print and web, signage, etc., where it is important for the logo to be on display in a clear and consistent manner.

I’m not trying to prevent anyone from having their fun, and I think your version is cool in certain context, but an official document should really have the official logo. Just my two cents.

3 Likes

I totally understand and appreciate you bringing it up. When I was creating it, I figured there might be some kind of use issue, but I didn’t know that Wiki page existed. It’s good info to have. I will definitely ask the board’s opinion on this matter before moving forward.

Just joining the conversation so I’ll be notified when y’all meet again. I’ve been part of the urban garden development st KANSEL and would love to understand the vision of the MakeICT gardens.

1 Like

Hello all,

Until we can get a regular meeting time solidified, I wanted to post the minutes from a previous discussion that Aaron and I had awhile back as we head into the 2022 growing season. Please see the link below. Two things to note: please add to or comment on winter projects that you’d like to see completed prior to planting season. Also, please review the rental agreement and provide any feedback you might have.

1 Like

Thanks for posting this.

I have some real world experience that may be taken as opinion.

My take on the MakeICT Community Garden Rental Agreement follows:

1. "will clean up my plot by November 1st. " →

Experience with my neighborhood community garden is that “clean up” is too vague and that November 1st isn’t necessary or likely. I have harvested sweet potatoes, tomatoes and hot peppers in November and winter squash in December.

1. “will keep weeds in my area under control.” →

I do minimal weed control of non invasive weeds during the growing season.

1. "if my plot becomes neglected, I will be given two weeks notice to clean it up. " →

Should specify how notice will be given. Should be a “Notice”, followed by a “Warning”.

1. "If not cleaned up after two weeks notice, the plot will be reassigned or tilled in and I will lose my deposit. " →

Should be “two weeks after warning” … and should be “may be reassigned” and that “tilling in may be required in extreme cases”.

Deposit being non refundable should be true regardless of circumstances

1. “I will NOT use unapproved fertilizers, insecticides or weed repellents” →

Are we going to have a pre approved list and a timely method of approval of unlisted substances?

1. “MakeICT is an organic garden.” →

I think this claim has specific requirements we can’t meet for a few years. It implies also that no GMO varieties can be planted. And it also means we would have to restrict sources of soil amendments and mulch.

It would be better to claim only that MakeICT forbids use of chemicals that are not allowed on organic certified foods by [Certifying Organization website]. (There are differing standards, we should pick one.)

Mike

4 Likes

Thanks for this, Mike. Very helpful.

2 Likes

Christian,

Can you please remove the Tuesday meetings on the calendar for now? Thank you.

I’m planning on starting work on the garden March 5th, weather permitting. I’ll spend most of the morning assessing, cleaning and starting to prep beds. Anyone else who is interested, let me know. If we get a big enough crew together, perhaps we can cook out.

3 Likes

I’ll put the 5th on my calendar and try to come help

1 Like

Are we still meeting up today?

Yes, I plan to be there around 10.

1 Like

Bummer, I thought we were meeting at 9. I got up here early to finish a bday gift for mom and am now ready to work in the garden. I can probably only stay until 1030 or 11, so is there something to get started on now?

Ok. I can try to get there a little sooner. Generally we just need to clear out the beds and get them nice and clean for planting.

1 Like

I’m at the blacksmith meeting in Haysville. Will be up to help work on the garden about 11:00

1 Like

Cleaned out the beds and already found some growth. Also there are a ton of dried up peppers and seeds ready to plant.

4 Likes

John and I got a lot done in a short amount of time. Beds are mostly cleared, although some of them have milkweed stickers that were destroying my hands, so I’ll need to come back with leather gloves. I think it would be good to get some nice compost dropped off to fill up the beds and account for lost soil. Then, we’re ready to plant! The wind is destroying my sinuses, so I called it a day.

I’m going to start a spreadsheet to plan out what we want to plant and where. I’ll share it here soon. Also, I’m going to reach out to the Nudge Compost guy and see if he can come and give us a demonstration on what to do with our measly compost pile.

Let’s please plan to meet all together in the next couple of weeks. Then, in April, let’s pick a day to plant.

4 Likes

I really liked your idea of having a large pumpkin patch in that big open unused area we had covered last year. Maybe we could also throw in some butternut and summer squash to the mix.

2 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t arrive sooner. Got to the garden and saw most of the work done :disappointed:. I saw that one bed had been tilled and so I got to tilling with the garden weasel and it was going great. Then, after 5 beds, I got to the last bed near the fence and saw a cat turd and realized that tilling up the beds, I just created the neighborhood cat box with every cat getting it own stall. :weary::weary:
So, at my house to keep the cats out of the beds I put grates over the raised bed and I thought that if we could use the steel grates that are in the west side of the building, we could put them over there beds and still weed and plant and keep the cats out…. Thoughts

4 Likes