YouTube on raspberry pi

I’ve tried a few programs but basically I have a pi with a webcam and I want to shoot video of me working on projects to post on YouTube. What program do I use without getting a 22G file. Extra points if I can do “speedup” videos.

1 Like

Following I’m intrigued by this to I want to stream my 3d printers with out having to pay for a service

Control the camera with Python, perhaps? At least for time lapse stuff. Here’s an example:

1 Like

What software and (more importantly) what codecs have you tried?

1 Like

Webcamoid and VLC mostly webcamoid

Tried mp4 3gp 3gp2…

Mostly I am ok with less resolution but want a longer record time. I can take discussion vids on my laptop…

Webcamoid and VLC mostly webcamoid

Tried mp4 3gp 3gp2…

Mostly I am ok with less resolution but want a longer record time. I can take discussion vids on my laptop…

dom

MakeICT Co-Founder

June 28

What software and (more importantly) what codecs have you tried?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

These are containers, not codecs. The underlying data format beneath all of these could be identical, leading to basically no difference in file sizes/quality.

People conflate these concepts a lot and, for most people, it hardly matters until they can play one MP4 but not a different MP4. Content producers should definitely know the difference though - especially if you’re recording/editing/producing the media yourself and even more especially if you’re hardware-constrained.

You can think of a container as being sorta like a ZIP file in that, like the name suggests, it “contains” multiple pieces of data. For a video, this “other data” would be the video track, audio track(s), meta data, etc. Different container types organize those things in different ways, but each container format generally supports multiple different kinds of compression for the things it contains.

Those different compression types are the codecs - things like h.264, h.265, Theora, VP8, etc for video or MP3, AAC, Vorbis, FLAC, etc for audio. This is where you’ll see differences in file sizes and qualities. Within each codec you can also experiment with different resolutions, compression settings, framerates, bitrates, etc. to achieve your goal.

2 Likes

I think I went with an MP4 and adjusted the frame rate. The webcam isn’t the greatest so the quality isn’t that great. but I only have two subscribers anyway. I compiled the video in openshot and even put a fancy pants opening title on it. Video can be mocked here

1 Like

I think these are the webcamoid settings

1 Like

Again, the container (MP4) doesn’t matter so much - the codec does. You’re using mjpeg, which compresses each frame independently, generating very large videos. Other codecs will store changes between frames instead, generally creating much smaller files. This is overly simplified, but if you still want to improve the quality/frame rate/resolution of your videos without generating giant files, try other codecs. It’s on the right side of your settings screenshot below the container settings.

2 Likes

Buggar I did the thing I said I wouldn’t do.

I will most definitely look into various codecs. I did get a video of me making a project. I think the camera is part of the problem and I KNOW the florescent lights are a problem. But I did get a video, edited, and on YouTube.

Eventually I might try one of those ASMIR things. But thanks so much for the insight.

https://youtu.be/zhC_BSZky44

Ps I don’t actually move that fast, and I utter way more swear words. And this is not the best way to put together this project.

3 Likes