Woodworking Basics Class?

Hey everyone, something has been on my mind since I joined MakeICT, and its about a possible Basics of Woodworking class.

I’m so new to woodworking, that I have found a great barrier to me working on things more frequently is the fact that I don’t know how to do very basic things like joinery or using some tools in the shop. I suppose what I’m asking for is a chance to attempt to use these tools and learn these methods with a teacher watching and guiding in a class setting, as opposed to what I have been doing, which is bugging others in the middle of their projects to help me with mine. It makes me feel so bad to use up others time for myself when thats not why they are there. Everyone has been SUPER nice and helpful, but I want to respect their time in the shop. And this way someone who is there for the purpose of teaching is doing it because thats what they signed up for.

So if there is any interest in something like this, please respond so we can maybe get one going. Youtube videos only help so much, when its not being done on the same equipment we have, and with the same “temperaments” that ours has. We don’t have to make a whole thing, but just to use some of the scrap wood we have to try tools and methods for ourselves would be SO helpful, and I’m just not comfortable enough to do it without a spotter :sweat_smile:

I have so many projects I want to get to, I just need a push in the right direction from someone more knowledgeable than I am, that is also not being inconvenienced by my lack of experience :sweat:

5 Likes

Doug regularly teaches a class called “Make a small lift-lid box” that introduces a lot of the equipment, like the sawstop and different sleds, mitering, jointer & planer, and router. It was very helpful to me and answered a lot of questions I had.

7 Likes

I will definitely keep an eye out for that. Although the thing I wonder is if there could be a class that could be less project oriented (i find myself not really needing some of the fully built things that a lot of courses offer and try to combat clutter) and more of like an ice-breaker for just trying out machines and methods. But thats just me, I know it may be hard for some teachers to keep a class like that organized.

4 Likes

I recommend allowing yourself to be guided to make something mundane. You never know what it will inspire. :smiling_face:

3 Likes

@r3mm13 I agree with @Pip that making something like the small box that @gemma mentioned is a great way to learn a lot of skills. Sometimes getting all the parts to fit together correctly and needing to go back to fix an issue is very beneficial when learning.
I had planned on attending the small box making class that @doug.wilson was teaching last month but when I noticed it on the calendar, the class was already filled. Hopefully Doug will be doing the class again soon.

5 Likes

In wood shop authorization class I was shown how a planner I don’t have experience with could make a piece of wood amazing. It inspired me to look more into cheap wood for my bus. There is always something to learn and be inspired by

3 Likes

I’ll add another woodshop make-n-take class soon. Glad to hear it was well received by those who took the class.

···

On Sat, Apr 8, 2023, 11:50 PM Dan Schalk via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| DanS
April 9 |

• | - |

@r3mm13 I agree with @Pip that making something like the small box that @gemma mentioned is a great way to learn a lot of skills. Sometimes getting all the parts to fit together correctly and needing to go back to fix an issue is very beneficial when learning.
I had planned on attending the small box making class that @doug.wilson was teaching last month but when I noticed it on the calendar, the class was already filled. Hopefully Doug will be doing the class again soon.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

7 Likes

Thank you Doug. I hope to be able to catch it next time.

I’m keeping an eye out for it, Doug

1 Like

There’s one scheduled for May 1st.

2 Likes