Wood turning authorization

I just joined MakeICT and was hoping to take the bowl turning class. I’m guessing the class is full as registration is closed for this weekend. :frowning:

Can I get authorized for the lathes by taking any of the turning classes? Is the “Warm Shop Turning Time” enough - it doesn’t appear to be a teaching class?

I have taken the Wood Shop safety course. Looking forward to learning something new. Thanks.

2 Likes

@John.Nicholas you want to answer or @Woodshop

Dave,

You are welcome at the Warm Shop Turning. Do you have any turning experience? Have any gouges? If so, bring them along and we can work with those. The Woodshop safety class covers almost everything. The former Lead, Doug Wilson, always told folks that he didn’t know much about lathe safety, so he left that up to me. I don’t know what Aaron our new Lead (as of 1/1) will do.

Turning a bowl involves some more advanced work. I can get you started on some techniques and we can cover the lathe safety as we go.

John Nicholas

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick response. I have no turning experience or gouges… what to buy is something I’d like to talk about tomorrow when I plan to come to WST after work. I’ve just signed up for the class on Monday as well. Looking forward to getting started!

1 Like