Sooooo, I bought a air hockey table from an auction yesterday. But when I got it home I realized to blower motor power has been cut. Does anyone have any advice or can help me fix it? The motor is pretty old the company doesn’t make the model I have. What should I do?
Judging by the wire sticking out, it may be toast; or if you’re feeling adventurous, rewind it.
I believe there’s some places around town that rewind motors. It’s not as popular as it used to be though.
From what I’ve googled, fasco makes a TON of fans and motors. They’re somewhat pricey too.
It may be that your specific model isn’t made anymore, but there may be a similar one that would work.
That motor does not need an exact replacement, but you need to know more than what’s visible in your pictures. You need something compatible with the blower (squirrel cage).
Modern nameplate nomenclature for the desired motor would be 3.3 inch, 1/50 HP, 2900 RPM, 115 VAC. But 3000 RPM would work, as would 1/45 HP (and maybe 1/60 HP.)
More important is shaft diameter and length and direction of rotation. Dayton probably makes something compatible.
Another approach, if you could figure out the CFM needed would be any motor/blower combination that has adaptable output port and mounting.
In the past, places that sold furnace repair parts could cross reference motors, but I have no idea if they still have the ability.
Dang, I thought I could cut a cord off something else to make this one work. I seen the website and none of the models replacement looked like mine, ill call to see if a live person can help me, but they are pricey.
I didn’t think about “if” the motor worked. I just thought I could take a cord off something else and splice to this motor. But if that can’t work I’ll just have to buy another one. I got the table for 10 bucks so not big loss if I can’t fix
It’s somewhat possible that if you could find both the wires an added cord might fix it. But, to be at all safe you need a grommet around the wiring hole, and the splices need to be entirely inside the motor housing. And, prevention of the wires and splices being able to pull out. A properly sized grommet/strain relief and a fancy knot on the insulated cord is the universally accepted way to protect the wiring from pulling out. But it’s usually necessary to split the motor (after removing the blower) then reassemble being careful of the wiring placement.
A quick, careful test (if the other wire is accessible) before disassembly might save a lot of time if the motor is bad.
Yeah, I thought it would be an easy cut and splice type of thing. This seems to be like safety issue. I’ll prob just save up and buy the replacement motor. Thank you