Wire gauge scale

I need to order some wire, for a project, but I need to determine the size first. Do we have a gauge scale in the metal shop or does someone have one I can borrow?

@MAtherton @james.a.seymour

My husband does have one he thinks he knows where it is. Hopefully he will find it in the next few days.

I have wire in gauges… but I dont have a wire gauge.

I’ve always used calipers. I think the electronics labs disappeared into another shop looks at fablab but I have another set I’m bringing next week. I’m pretty sure the metal shop has some.

Just measure the diameter and ask google what gauge that diameter is.

Well maybe she can’t do that conversation directly yet but she can get you to a chart.

···

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022, 00:06 Malissa Long via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| Malissa
September 23 |

• | - |

My husband does have one he thinks he knows where it is. Hopefully he will find it in the next few days.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

2 Likes

Last time I checked the calipers were in the toolbox by the door in electronics, but the batteries were dead. The calipers that are in the Fab Lab have been there since before we moved, and are pretty terrible and need to be replaced.

1 Like

My dial calipers never have a dead battery. JS

Can’t believe Christian ran the battery down and then put it back in the toolbox…

Lol well a battery is an easy fix. I have another one I’ll bring in, sounds like textiles needs one :smiley:

···

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022, 17:40 David Hanson via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| whateg01
September 23 |

• | - |

My dial calipers never have a dead battery. JS

In Reply To

| Christian MakeICT Member
September 23 |

• | - |

Last time I checked the calipers were in the toolbox by the door in electronics, but the batteries were dead. The calipers that are in the Fab Lab have been there since before we moved, and are pretty terrible and need to be replaced.

Nope. I’m making some bird sculptures and needed to look at wire gauge size to order wire to build the armature.

1 Like

That sounds like an awesome project!

···

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022, 18:20 Malissa Long via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| Malissa
September 23 |

• | - |

Nope. I’m making some bird sculptures and needed to look at wire gauge size to order wire to build the armature.

In Reply To

| james.a.seymour Director of Pansophy and ERP Area Lead
September 23 |

• | - |

Can’t believe Christian ran the battery down and then put it back in the toolbox… Lol well a battery is an easy fix. I have another one I’ll bring in, sounds like textiles needs one :smiley: ··· (click to show quoted text, requires login)

1 Like

(I’ll whisper this so the tormach gods don’t hear. There’s a set of digital calipers in the tormach toolbox. Don’t tell anybody I told you.)

2 Likes

There’s a gauge wheel in either the top of one of the red tool chests in the hot shop, or one of the drawers labeled ‘measurement tools’. There’s also a ‘measurement’ drawer in the cold shop in the american flag tool chest that should have one in there.

3 Likes

Might have a few end up on our trees if all goes well. I actually decided to go with a BBQ disposable mesh tray and the 20 guage wire I already have for my first test piece.

If you have some calipers here is a chart i found

1 Like

So here’s all the samples I have so far the redwing blackbird has about 6 hours in and I need to cut/break more shot glasses. Experimenting with different plastics and aluminum.

2 Likes