Which tool would be best

I’m working on a countertop made out of hardwood flooring. It’s roughly 24x15 and the flooring glued to 1/2" plywood making it ~1.25" thick. However, the leading edge (flooring) overhangs the plywood by ~1/2". I’ll be attaching a trim piece to the leading edge.

The issue I have is that my leading edge is not completely even across so I would have slight gaps between some of the planks and the trim piece. Being new to woodworking, I’m not sure the best way to take care of this. I’m most familiar with the table saw, but I’m not sure that is the best way to handle this mainly because of the size of the piece (trying to keep it square to the blade). Is there a different tool I should consider using?

1 Like

A track saw maybe? I think there’s a track saw at MakeICT.

If you can temporarily attach a straight board to the under-side for a guide, you’d be able to use a flush-cut router bit to give a nice edge.

1 Like

A router with a pattern bit sounds like it could do the trick well enough. it has a bearing the follows an edge, but a cutter that matches. Here’s what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brunAX3S5gg

···

On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 11:21 PM Kathleen Barth via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| diamondskier
May 23 |

• | - |

I’m working on a countertop made out of hardwood flooring. It’s roughly 24x15 and the flooring glued to 1/2" plywood making it ~1.25" thick. However, the leading edge (flooring) overhangs the plywood by ~1/2". I’ll be attaching a trim piece to the leading edge.

The issue I have is that my leading edge is not completely even across so I would have slight gaps between some of the planks and the trim piece. Being new to woodworking, I’m not sure the best way to take care of this. I’m most familiar with the table saw, but I’m not sure that is the best way to handle this mainly because of the size of the piece (trying to keep it square to the blade). Is there a different tool I should consider using?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions, it sounds like the router is the way to go. It’s been about 20 years since I used a router and that was with my dad, so i think some practicing will be in order!

2 Likes