What is this DC connector called

Working on a project and need this style of plug. Most come with 14-16 ga molded in, but I need to be able to use heavier wires. Just can’t think of the right words to search for. For reference, Motorola sells a 20’ wire harness for their high power mobiles for about $50. I am hoping to find just the connector with a short wire, or a compatible connector that I can add my own wires to.

1 Like

Google lens failed me

found it thanks to the folks at GJ!

“SAE power connector”

2 Likes

I only know of them as 2 pole or 2 position trailer light connectors. But, a little google foo and they’re also called flat connectors and if you add the desired wire size (eg 12 ga or 10 ga) you might find exactly what you want.

1 Like

I’ve always felt like there should be a a better name, but I’ve never found one. I use them for solar.

2 Likes

Poorman automotive sells a pigtail kit that is a 4-6 inch pair with two connectors like that. It’s how i get around buying Motorolas expensive cabling set for 2way base radio installs.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I’m avoiding here -the batwing tax. I need 3’ or thereabouts and heavy enough for a 100W mobile. I ordered a couple off Amazon that should be here when I get back from DC. Good to know there’s a local option too. Didn’t think to check with radio shack but they probably would’ve had it, too, now that I think about it.

Does Derby still have a Radio Shack? That’s the only one in the area that I can think of. Since Lloyds closed down are there any other local electronic parts retailers?

2 Likes

Last time I was down there ~2 months, they did. He had to shrink, cut the store in half, but still going and didn’t have any plans to stop

5 Likes

I have a friend that still works there. I think the repair stuff they do pays the bills. I can’t imagine they do enough volume on other stuff to stay open. I also think they like what they do. I imagine that are all hams working on radios, the way it all started.

2 Likes

Well when I’m trying to do something, I try to go look there before buying online. I know it doesn’t help much but I try.