What filament is safe for aquarium?

My daughter has a beta fish in a small aquarium. Today she asked if we could print some decorative things to put in the aquarium. I thought it sounded like a great idea and am glad she thought to 3D print them ourselves!

Anyone know what filament would be the safest to use?

1 Like

White ABS and Food-Grade PETG are the recommended aquarium-safe filaments to use according to the google

1 Like

Food grade is probably the best bet. One of my coworkers used standard PLA to print some aquarium stuff and it sounds like that stuff breaks down quick. But he also used it in a semi-large salt water tank.

1 Like

I’ve use pla in salt water aquarium while it may dissolve over a long period of time it is insignificant the amount any chemicals that may leach into water also with proper tank maintenance via water changes this issue is greatly reduced.
PLA is a 3D printing material that is safe for food contact. With plastic injection molding, this material is used to make packaging. It is a perfect material to 3D print project that will not be exposed to the heat of to a too powerful mechanical constraint. But if you want to create litte objects with this biodegradable plastic, such as cookie cutters, PLA filament seems to be a perfect choice.

1 Like