Volunteers needed - room 4 cleanup

Hi all,
The inventory committee is currently working on clearing out room 4. It’s a bit late notice, but we are looking for volunteers to come help move items. We are meeting at the space at 2pm today. We would appreciate any help we could get, thanks!

3 Likes

With today’s temperatures and rain stay hydrated.

1 Like

I’ll try to be down there to help.

I’ll also try to have some plum jam done in time for those who help out today. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The plum jam convinced me! I’ll be there and bring Sarah :smiley:

1 Like

Are/were you there for the cleanup?

We made a pretty big dent in room 4 today. Some stuff was moved into other rooms… Like a lot of leather into textiles (though, is James Seymour doing leather working in the future?). There’s also some manneguins, fabrics, and pattern shelves in there that may be going to habitat if not claimed.

We’re calling habitat tomorrow to see if they can make a run out here to pick up stuff.

We’ll also need to talk with Paula and Wes about getting the scrap metal taken care of.

Leather and fungi are a textiles thing

This shouldn’t have been last minute and area leads should have been involved in anything moving into their area. I know I’ve been out of the loop with my art residency, but I checked email and the forum quite often and had not seen or heard anything about this before today.We really need to work on our communication, Communications Committee meeting is this Wednesday at 6:30. I’d love to have some people join, it’s hard to fix things by yourself.

1 Like

https://wiki.makeict.org/wiki/July_15_2021

From the July 15th board meeting:

Inventory - Anna DiSalvo

• Next meeting on calendar (11 August)
  • Meeting on 14 July
    • Determining things that did not sell for donation, sale to general public/donation/reuse/trash
    • Location for things (for temporary place for it to be collected)
    • Sorting the rest of Room 4, meeting on 25 July at 2 pm

This was not last minute, this was their planned meeting time. Area leads were notified last month to clear out anything they wanted from room 4.

If you do not want the leather or fabric goods that were moved into the textile room, then let us know and we would not have a problem marking them for sale or donation if that is what is prefered, but room 4 will no longer be used for storage.

2 Likes

I will not know what was moved until I’m in the space tomorrow. I was told what was on the side that was marked for textiles was fine for now. This is why we need a newsletter and direct email and not rely/force people to go hunt for information. We all have life’s outside the makerspace.

Why wasn’t an event request made so this would have been on the public calendar? We need to be scheduling work days where our general membership can know and come help. How are members to get involved if we wait till last minute to let them know we need help? By then they already have other plans.

Yes it would have been nice to have it on the calendar so that more members would know about it. That being said, they did have a good work crew, and clearly got a lot of work done. In this case, more hands might have even been more of a detriment, since they also had to figure out where stuff was going before it could be moved.

I was on the main call and my understanding was that things would be “sorted” and not moved out. Most of what was stored in there was there while we finished cleaning and painting the room, can get the curtains for the entire building made, having things built and until we could get people to help. We need some volunteers to do all these things and to integrate all if the materials into our room.
In order to do all this we will now need a temporary space for things so we can move scaffolding around the room for the cleaning and painting. We have one college student volunteer doing the cleaning which he is doing around his work and school schedule. We are also trying to start sewing times and classes. I will be there tonight about 6:30. Pease stop by so we can get a plan together that will meet everyone’s needs.

Big thanks to Wes, Aaron, and James for their efforts to clear out the scrap metal in room 4!

It sounds like habitat for humanity will be by on Friday to pick up the stuff that was ear marked to be donated.

It is exciting to see room 4 get cleared out, but we are still making efforts to contact area and committee leads to make sure what ever is being removed is not something that is needed or to be repurposed in the near future.

1 Like

Anna DiSalvo had habitat come out this week and pick up the tables and chairs. So now we’re down to figuring out new homes for a few boxes, scrap wood, and some HVAC equipment.

If anyone has a suggestion for where to store that stuff, I think we’d like to hear some ideas on this one.

3 Likes