Volunteer Request - MakeICT Market

Hey everyone! I’m looking for some volunteers for the Market this December! I will have paper sign ups at the front cork board of the space, but I figure its good to reach here too!

Event Date: December 2nd from 12-6pm

There will be a Vendor Meeting on Friday November 24th at 6pm for us to go over anything you need to know about the event and what is expected of you. The morning of the event (11 am) we will have another short meeting to make sure everyone knows their jobs, and there mayyy have been a murmuring about breakfast pizza… :smiley:

The volunteers I need are:

-Greeters: You will guide people from the entrance and hallway to Rooms 3 and 4 to see the other vendors available, to the end of the hallway for a tour, or to the bathroom. Whatever they need for directions, these should be the most common questions you should have to answer!

-Parking: Guiding people into a spot to help with space preservation.

-Tours: We need knowledgeable members to alternate with each other for giving tours. One Tour Guide will sit at the end of the hallway and “collect” people, chit chat with them and get their interests, the other Tour Guide will be on a tour with their group, and then they will switch once one tour is over. Ideally, we would like some Floaters to be able to go with the group and keep an eye on people in the back in case someone breaks away from the group.

Thanks for reading and let me know if you have any questions.

If you want to be a vendor, signups for that are coming soon and there will be a thread of its own when signups are open! :heart:

5 Likes

I’m a doof, so the date is changed to what day its ACTUALLY on, which is December 2nd lol. My bad.

3 Likes

I would like to have a booth for the sale. I will forego having a booth and fill-in any needed position.
Having the event is more important to me than having a booth. I got your six. Thanks, Thad

4 Likes

If anyone would like to volunteer to do tours, but is hesitant, I would get with you to learn to do tours ahead of time!

2 Likes

Thank you Thad, that is excellent of you!!! I will try to make sure you can get a booth, but if not, your willingness to help us out is just awesome. I’m sure people will step up to help so you can vend^^

3 Likes

If I can get someone to help with my booth I may be able to do both.

2 Likes

If I were to go get a ton of gravel, do y’all think there’s enough people willing to come help fill the potholes in the parking lot before the maker market? I really don’t want to go get it then have to shovel it all on my own. Seems like people would like a parking lot that you can drive through.

4 Likes

Larry Meeks i will help shovel let me know when!

2 Likes

I will GLADLY help fill thise things, they’re like craters :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

Ok. I have to fly out for work this weekend so it’ll be at least next weekend probably but I’ll post up here when I plan to do it.

1 Like

First time using this, trying to figure it out! [quote=“mudbug, post:8, topic:25202, full:true”]
Larry Meeks i will help shovel let me know when!
[/quote]

1 Like

@Facilities @Directors - any objections from anybody?

Assuming there might be some extra from filling potholes, should the extra be put in a pile somewhere for later? Or spread evenly across the rest of the parking lot?

1 Like

I’m probably tied up the next two weekends. But after that, I have a mini loader tractor that I could bring out

3 Likes

I’ll start a new thread to discuss parking lot fix.

3 Likes

Volunteer Sign ups can be done either through this thread or our physical Sign Up sheet by the front door of MakeICT! Its a very yellow piece of paper that tomorrow I will pop a QR code on to see the information about volunteering for this event AND if you wanted to help with the cleaning day on the 1st, a day before the event on the 2nd.

I’m happy to help out, especially if it frees up vendors so we have MORE BOOTHS, I’m more concerned that we won’t have enough vendors!

5 Likes

I actually did want to message you about this exact thing so I really appreciate your help!!

1 Like

I’ll round up a couple kids. ← edit… no I won’t, I just went through this thought process…

I’m a little shy about inviting the middle schoolers to help out on a cleaning day, so are you sure? They’re good kids, but they need VERY structured activities. They are with a parent. But you can’t do stuff like tell them “this floor needs mopped go find the mop” because they aren’t allowed to wander around the space. Last time I brought them in I got yelled at because the rule we have with kids is that they must be stared at constantly, so I can’t leave the room and find them a mop either. they didn’t break anything, didn’t mess up anything, they were just found “unsupervised” and it was a whole fiasco.

I’ll keep the group very small and my goodness makerspace, please give me some more love and tolerance if I try this again? most of the people who gave me the most hate are gone now but I still feel the stress level coming up even as I type this and I’m not so sure…

okay so no. this isn’t a good idea. I will be there, maybe with my teenager. I’m not going to endure makeict’s kid attitudes again on a cleaning day and I don’t want her enduring makeict’s kid attitudes either, it’s weird that she can’t be in a room without me and she feels it.

the kids are good at sitting at a table doing an activity. they are not good at cleaning. We as a space are not good at cleaning, sending non-member volunteers around to find things to clean. there are just too many conflicts.

6 Likes

Totally understand Kim, thank you for letting me know. It was a suggestion brought to me to ask but I TOTALLY get it. Thank you for your willingness to help still :heart:

1 Like

thanks! yeah, at one point I was posting a lot in here saying hey we’ve got a potential army of middle school volunteers, who wants to help me with finding them jobs! but everyone’s interest, including my own, faded on that idea.

1 Like