Volunteer for SWE Expo April 6 2024

Hey MakeICT! The past few years we’ve had a table at the annual SWE Engineering Expo at Century II and it is a blast! I’m looking for helpers. If you’ve never been before, it’s a very high-energy day of kids doing STEM activities. They go around to different tables that groups host. We get to tell people about MakeICT and introduce some kids to what we do. Last year it was screenprinting, this year I think I have a different idea but I promise it’ll be “no expertise required”.

Read about expo at: https://wichitaengineeringexpo.org/
Click “GOING” to this fb event if you’re on facebook, whether you volunteer or not invite some friends! Engineering Expo 2024

Of course if you have a kid, you should just take your kid :slight_smile: but if you don’t, help out at our table!

Reply here to let me know what time you want on Saturday April 6:
8:30-11:30
11:00-2:00
1:30-3:30

5 Likes

For those of you who have not run this event it’s fun. Not too tiring, and well organized. Depending on your shirt size you may get some extra shirts too!

I think we are taking the grands, I don’t see Danielle passing up an opportunity for me to buy her lunch at Meddie’s.

4 Likes

That is early enough in the month, I can do that Saturday! Hmmm… any of the times I could do. You can put me in the morning… but move me if you need to…

1 Like

I’ll be there but still thinking on the time…maybe the last slot.

1 Like

@MSL said he’d help us out too! Mike you want the 11-2 spot?

Anyone else? It’d be nice to have two per time.

So it looks like we have…
8:30-11:30 @ladeana
11:00-2:00
1:30-3:30 @r3mm13 maybe?

1 Like

That sounds good! Did you need help figuring out what to do at the table or do you have an idea already? I want to mentally prepare for the task whatever it is haha. Let me know if I can help you with anything.

1 Like

Sure Kim. That works for me

···

Mike

1 Like

I would really love to help but if everything goes according to plan I’ll be in Austin to watch the eclipse the following monday.

1 Like

Im looking at the 11-2 spot but might not last 3 hrs.

it’s SATURDAY! I am so excited! I’d love more makeict volunteers to come out, even if it’s just for an hour, but I will take what I can get!

We will have two cardboard cutting tables, I have lots of cardboard but would love more, I think we’re going to make wearables (bracelets, accessories!) because the colors we have are wonderful.

If you have thin cardboard (cereal boxes, soda boxes etc) and can just BRING your stuff to our booth at Century II that’d be great.

The Volunteers!

8:30-11:30 @ladeana
11-2:00 @MSL and maybe @Teya for a bit
1:30-3:30 @r3mm13

We had a TON of people learn about MakeICT through this so while we can use random SWE high schooler volunteers to have the kids have fun, it means so much more when they can work with actual makers, think about joining us if you’re free on Saturday :slight_smile:

Parking sucks! Download the Park Mobile app to reduce the time you need to pay the $5 for parking.

You’re going to the Bob Brown Expo Hall at Century II, here:

3 Likes

Is there any training required for us volunteers?

···

Mike

1 Like

Let me try. Ive done this before so I have a training pov suggestion.
Its really minimal. And easy.

Shower, clean clothes [in that order] and then spend a moment meditating on that happy place where you made some things and it made you really happy. Bottle that moment, bring that smile, and bingo, you are the perfect rep. The rest is eye contact, a propensity to listen more than talk, and asking what they like to do. It helps to know most of the list of what we have available in equipment AND classes. [He said to the instructor].
You already have buckets of these skills. Just bring that calm smile and share it. Its ok to recycle your 3D print or lasercutting experience story with a hundred folks. Their response will feed you to keep going. And following Kim’s lead has never been a bad look. She sets the example and is just real people putting her self out there to other real people.

2 Likes

I’m on board. Let me know what time.

2 Likes

We have to make anything at a booth pretty easy to do, so generally there is no training necessary. I have never done this before (and I am one of the first), but I am sure I can learn what is needed in just a few minutes. :slight_smile: Come join us Mike!

Thad. I will give Kim a chance to respond… (but I am pretty sure the answer is “Come when you can!”
:slight_smile:

1 Like

from the expo queens, here is the official volunteer code of conduct:

Have fun
Be kind & considerate to others
Behave professionally
Be on time for your shift
Focus on why you’re here, not your phone
Remember this event is about the kids

guidelines specific to the makeict booth:

be flexible, since I’m like 60% sure that our activity will work
tell people to COME TO MAKER MONDAY AT 7PM ON APRIL 8, we’re in luck, it’s two days after expo! If they’re out of town eclipsing or whatever, tell them to come April 22nd.
take pictures of us!

@Thad you want to help out in the morning a bit? Start at the start… 9am?

4 Likes

4-6-24 9am Bob Brown Century II

3 Likes

we had the BEST TIME! I posted some photos to my facebook and send them to trisha for the makeict socials: Kim Burton

@Thad and @ladeana were a huge help in the early shift with FIXING OUR SETUP because the drills weren’t working and needed sound dampening and teamwork made it happen and everything worked ALL DAY after that! (except for when the power went out for the whole chunk of the city, but that wasn’t makeict’s fault lol) THANK YOU BOTH!

@MSL and @r3mm13 helped in the afternoon and we created so many bits of cardboard, cleanup was a task but HAPPENED. Turns out we did not need very much cardboard for this activity, kids wanted to cut so many small things, so I’ve got boatloads of extra if anybody wants to give this a try.

and of course thank you @wjt for inspiring me to make one of these nibbler bit tables and for the connections so we could borrow the table you made for the day, it’s beautiful and so much fun!

4 Likes