Visited TXRX a makerspace in Houston today

They have about 550 members and 13 full time employees. They have a variety of memberships… but their 7 day a week one ( during open hours) goes for $90 a month. They are nonprofit… but do some contacts for business to support the staff. They had shelves of Prusas cranking out some plastic parts (like 10-15 of them). And then they had a bunch more for the makers.

They had about 4 or so laser cutters. They were cranking out some coasters on since they were going to the state captol

2 Likes

Lobby and coworking at the left

1 Like

Here is there first class room for classes like fusion 360 and machining and technology type stuff

1 Like

These are pictures of the art class room

1 Like

These are from the metal shop… big plasma cutter and they can teach 8 people to weld in a class… and they have people waiting on their classes.

1 Like

Some pictures from their wood shop. The cutting board shown is from their introductory class. It is a 2 day class. They have several classes that span multiple days…

1 Like

I think these are all of the jewelry lab… maybe double the size of ours… no casting though

1 Like

I think these were of their ceramics area… not much bigger than ours… not nearly as busy either… they only fire a couple of times a week…even though firing is included same as ours…

1 Like

This is the area where they do metal milling. They have groups of people in to learn job skills and they help work on some of the contracts they have.

It looked like 3 NC mills and a couple of manual mills.

1 Like

They are in 3 separate buildings in downtown Houston… they are looking to get into a larger space this year…

1 Like

They have some after school classes for kids and are doing a summer project with middle school kids. They consider themselves to be a mostly hobbiest makerspace though… the pic is from the room where they do stuff with high schoolers.

1 Like

They’ve been a Makerspace for about 12 years… they have areas that are very similar to ours. I think we could learn a lot from their space and they seem super friendly… so if anyone would like to get in contact with someone from their space in a similar area… I can get you a contact…

2 Likes

Link to their website txtxlabs.org

1 Like

Thanks for the great pictures! Everything looked so clean and roomy!

1 Like

Cool, thanks, Ladeana! I like that they’ve painted. Such a simple thing made it seem much cleaner.

Did you mean “contracts”?

Yes, contracts

Wow, It looks so clean and professional.

2 Likes

So, compensated “staff”?

Just a thought to throw out there, you mentioned they were doing some training for job skills. Is there anything we could do in concert with some of the apprentice/certification programs locally?

I don’t if we have investigated… but it is interesting isn’t it?