Vinyl Cutter Training request

I’m interested in some custom dbrand-inspired vinyl phone wraps. Is it possible to do a peer authorization after doing reading on the workings of the cutter and the process?

Tagging @Christian since you’d run the class in past years. Thanks!

2 Likes

If someone can show you how or schedule a class, I’d like to jump in on that too. I took the class five years ago and really need to take the whole thing over again.

1 Like

I can show you how to run the vinyl cutter.
I’m available on a Thursday from 5:30p-7p.
Let me know if that works for you.

···

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 25, 2023, at 9:38 AM, Gemma Blackburn via MakeICT Forum noreply@talk.makeict.org wrote:

| gemma Membership
September 25 |

• | - |

If someone can show you how or schedule a class, I’d like to jump in on that too. I took the class five years ago and really need to take the whole thing over again.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

Previous Replies

| hammond MakeICT Member
September 25 |

• | - |

I’m interested in some custom dbrand-inspired vinyl phone wraps. Is it possible to do a peer authorization after doing reading on the workings of the cutter and the process?

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

6 Likes

That works for me. Thanks Kez!

1 Like

Teamwork makes the dream work! Thanks Kez!

2 Likes

Coolio.
I’ve never used the computer there to run the cutter, just my laptop - which is what I recommend.
So, bring a laptop and and a simple design (or we can draw a heart or something simple) and we’ll be golden.
I use Inkscape for all my stuff, so that’s my experience. (If you were hoping for something else, then I’m not the right person :slight_smile: ). That said, you don’t have to use Inkscape for design work. Any ol’ file saved in…hpgl(?)…will work. I just know how to design and save in Inkscape.

See you Thursday, 9/28 @ 5:30p. @hammond @gemma

Side note: Gemma, this would be a great opportunity if you wanted to take notes and update the wiki. Cuz the wiki for the vinyl cutter could definitely be improved. :woman_shrugging:t3:

···

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 25, 2023, at 10:41 AM, Gemma Blackburn via MakeICT Forum noreply@talk.makeict.org wrote:

| gemma Membership
September 25 |

• | - |

In Reply To

| Kez Maker Of Things That Do The Thing
September 25 |

• | - |

I can show you how to run the vinyl cutter. I’m available on a Thursday from 5:30p-7p. Let me know if that works for you. ··· (click to show quoted text, requires login)

Previous Replies

September 25 |

• | - |

··· (click to show quoted text, requires login)

| gemma Membership
September 25 |

• | - |

| hammond MakeICT Member
September 25 |

• | - |

4 Likes

~~The earliest I can realistically get there is going to be 6 – my class gets out at 5:15 and then I’ll hustle there on my bicycle from WSU. ~~

… I might let them out early because I have an idea for some outside work for them to do… but I will probably be there close to 6.

Thanks for doing this!

… actually, just checked my wife’s calendar and I’m needed elsewhere on Thursday. Only day it doesn’t work out. Oh well.

Maybe @gemma can practice what she learns by teaching me? That’s a great way to reinforce learning :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would tomorrow work better? I just have a hard cut off of 7p.

···

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 25, 2023, at 11:23 AM, John Hammond via MakeICT Forum noreply@talk.makeict.org wrote:

| hammond MakeICT Member
September 25 |

• | - |

The earliest I can realistically get there is going to be 6 – my class gets out at 5:15 and then I’ll hustle there on my bicycle from WSU.

… I might let them out early because I have an idea for some outside work for them to do… but I will probably be there close to 6.

Thanks for doing this!

In Reply To

September 25 |

• | - |

Coolio. I’ve never used the computer there to run the cutter, just my laptop - which is what I recommend. So, bring a laptop and and a simple design (or we can draw a heart or something simple) and we’ll be golden. I use Inkscape for all my stuff, so that’s my experience. (If you were hoping for …

Previous Replies

| ladeana Board Member & Classroom Management
September 25 |

• | - |

September 25 |

• | - |

Coolio.
I’ve never used the computer there to run the cutter, just my laptop - which is what I recommend.
So, bring a laptop and and a simple design (or we can draw a heart or something simple) and we’ll be golden.
I use Inkscape for all my stuff, so that’s my experience. (If you were hoping for something else, then I’m not the right person :slight_smile:). That said, you don’t have to use Inkscape for design work. Any ol’ file saved in…hpgl(?)…will work. I just know how to design and save in Inkscape.

Side note: Gemma, this would be a great opportunity if you wanted to take notes and update the wiki. Cuz the wiki for the vinyl cutter could definitely be improved. :woman_shrugging:t3:

| gemma Membership
September 25 |

• | - |

September 25 |

• | - |

| gemma Membership
September 25 |

• | - |

1 Like

My Monday/Tuesday/Thursdays are my later afternoon classes, unfortunately. Wednesday, Friday, and weekends are my more free days. I appreciate the offer, though!

1 Like

Thursday it is then. :slight_smile:

···

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 25, 2023, at 11:33 AM, John Hammond via MakeICT Forum noreply@talk.makeict.org wrote:

| hammond MakeICT Member
September 25 |

• | - |

My Monday/Tuesday/Thursdays are my later afternoon classes, unfortunately. Wednesday, Friday, and weekends are my more free days. I appreciate the offer, though!

In Reply To

September 25 |

• | - |

Would tomorrow work better? I just have a hard cut off of 7p. ··· (click to show quoted text, requires login)

Previous Replies

September 25 |

• | - |

| hammond MakeICT Member
September 25 |

• | - |

~~The earliest I can realistically get there is going to be 6 – my class gets out at 5:15 and then I’ll hustle there on my bicycle from WSU. ~~

Thanks for doing this!

… actually, just checked my wife’s calendar and I’m needed elsewhere on Thursday. Only day it doesn’t work out. Oh well.

Maybe @gemma can practice what she learns by teaching me? That’s a great way to reinforce learning :slight_smile:

| ladeana Board Member & Classroom Management
September 25 |

• | - |

September 25 |

• | - |

Coolio.
I use Inkscape for all my stuff, so that’s my experience. (If you were hoping for something else, then I’m not the right person :slight_smile:). That said, you don’t have to use Inkscape for design work. Any ol’ file saved in…hpgl(?)…will work. I just know how to design and save in Inkscape.

| gemma Membership
September 25 |

• | - |

1 Like

Great idea! Will do

2 Likes

ooh I might join, I haven’t used it in years and could really use a refresher. blade setting is weird. thank you for doing this kez!

3 Likes

[ Kim talks about blade setting like Kez’s sole MO on blades isn’t: “is it shiney? Cool, it must be there…” ] :rofl::rofl:

Yes, we can talk about blade setting. That didn’t even occur to me. Bring your questions and come on! :slight_smile:

However, I will say that I am now maxed out at 3 potential people. :slight_smile: cuz time. :woman_shrugging:t3: If there’s more interest, we’ll have to schedule another day :slight_smile:

···

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 25, 2023, at 12:36 PM, Kim Burton via MakeICT Forum noreply@talk.makeict.org wrote:

| kim Past President
September 25 |

• | - |

ooh I might join, I haven’t used it in years and could really use a refresher. blade setting is weird. thank you for doing this kez!

Previous Replies

| gemma Membership
September 25 |

• | - |

Kez:

Side note: Gemma, this would be a great opportunity if you wanted to take notes and update the wiki. Cuz the wiki for the vinyl cutter could definitely be improved

Great idea! Will do

September 25 |

• | - |

Thursday it is then. :slight_smile:

| hammond MakeICT Member
September 25 |

• | - |

September 25 |

• | - |

| hammond MakeICT Member
September 25 |

• | - |

Thanks for doing this!

3 Likes

To try to schedule a future one with maybe @kim or @gemma reinforcing their learning by showing me how to use it - is there a time on a Wednesday / Friday / Saturday / Sunday that would work to help me get started on it as well?

4 Likes

Friday evenings are usually good for me.

1 Like

Would 5 work as a time? The woodshop authorization I’ve signed up for starts at 6 this Friday.

2 Likes

Yep, that works for me!

2 Likes

See you then!

2 Likes

@hammond @gemma @kim
The vinyl cutter raspberry pi decided it needed attention. So the IT people are working on it. (thanks guys!! @SteveO @ssaner).

When they tell us it’s back up and running, let’s plan another “play with vinyl” night. Maybe even set it up as a class…

Happy Thursday.

5 Likes

Thanks for the heads up and your working trying to help us get onboard!

So @gemma, we’ll cancel our Friday at 5 also.

See you all around the space!

3 Likes