Upgrading my hotend

I’m in the process of upgrading my hotend on my 5plus. I just had to get a klemco hotend mount in green to go with my color scheme and have some lime green petg coming to make matching fan shrouds. (and yes, I did name my printer the mean-green-3d printing machine lol) I’m debating on trying the th3d tough hotend, e3d or microswiss. I’ve looked at microswiss, but its seems like the e3d has better reviews. The th3d is half the price though. Has anyone used the th3d hotend or have any other suggestions to consider?

1 Like

I put a microSwiss on my 5plus. It works very well. No issues with it at all.

The e3d v6 is what we use at the makerspace. They work well and are reliable. If you have a need to change nozzles frequently e3d recently released a new hotend that makes that super easy. It is more expensive, though.

I think the microswiss is pretty popular because it’s not junk like the stock hotend and it has the same form factor, so you don’t need to change the mounting hardware. I don’t have any personal experience with it, though.

It looks like the th3d tough is an e3d v6 clone. Skimming through their product page they do claim to use an all metal heatbreak, which is better than a lot of the clones. It does use a glass thermistor bolted to the side which can be a bit finicky and is much easier to break that the metal cartridges that the modern e3d v6 uses.

1 Like