Updating By-laws

Ever year around this time Bylaw changes come up but seem to die after the election. I’ve written several of our policies and have worked on policy for other organizations. As I can’t commit to being in the space on certain dates or tims as my schedule is packed, I would be happy to remotely assist anyone wanting to write a Bylaw change and help get it the support it needs to go in front of the member as a vote. Our by-laws should be reviewed yearly and changes recommend as needed.

10 Likes

I completely agree that the Bylaws should be reviewed yearly.
Changing the Bylaws is a process that can be initiated by anyone.

Article VIII: Amendments

Amendments to these bylaws must be proposed in writing. A proposal for an amendment may be offered by any member in good standing. Signatures of ten other members in good standing, who are not currently serving on the Board of Directors, must accompany the proposal. The Secretary will circulate such proposals to the Board of Directors. Upon approval by two-thirds (2/3) of the Board Members, the amendment shall be submitted to the members for ratification two (2) weeks in advance of the next scheduled member meeting. Ratification of a proposed amendment shall require approval by a majority of the members voting at the meeting. If the required two-thirds (2/3) Board approval or majority member ratification is not obtained, the proposed bylaw amendment shall fail.

6 Likes

When is the next scheduled member meeting?

1 Like

It’s supposed to be in September but I don’t see it on the calendar yet.

3 Likes

Usually the month before the Board of directors sets the date. So look for it as an Agenda item in August.

2 Likes

This last year the board set all the meeting dates in one of the early meetings. I will try to get us to do that this year as well.

4 Likes

Congrats on making the board again!

1 Like

Voting ends at 7 AM no one should know the results as of yet. I’m sure LaDeana meant as a member she liked having the dates set and would encourage the board to set them all at once early in their term.

3 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: that’s sure not how LaDeana’s post sounds. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

But that was how it was meant. Remember you do not have to be on the board to do good and important things around the space.

7 Likes