Upcoming Open House

The Board approved a Potential Open House in March for any spaces at MakeICT that wish to join. The planning needs to start in the next week. The idea is to have a number of the various spaces that wish to help, do the planning, and join in to do an Open House before Easter.

If your space or members of your space wish to join in a display of their makings, products, or pieces and/or choose to sell some, this would be the place. Some makers may wish to make stuff during the Open House.

It is intended to promote MakeICT, now that we have been in our new home for one year.

The concept was presented to the Leads at their January Meeting and some were very interested. At our previous location members had the opportunity to participate in the Final Friday Arts Crawl, to display their makings and actually sell some.

This idea was proposed by the South Kansas Woodturners as a way to promote our Woodturning, to allow some members to sell some of their items, and also to promote our new home at MakeICT, We wanted to involve other makers from MakeICT tha wish to do the same thing,

Selling will follow established MakeICT policy: 25% Commission to MakeICT, Each seller is responsible for collection and submission of sales tax to the Kansas Dept of Revenue.

If you are interested in displaying, selling, making, for the Open House we need you to help,

1. Member(s) of your space to work on planning.

2. Other members of spaces to work on implemented various parts of the plan starting in 10 days,
    Signing up display/sellers from your space
    Signing up makers to make in your space
    Signing up members to pitch in for some time in the week
    prior to the Open House to clean the various spaces and
    classrooms.

Today, we need to get a list of members that are willing to help with the planning. Each space that has members that want to participate, should have 1 or more members involved with planning. After that, we will ask for members to volunteer to implement parts of the plan. No one can do it all. We need a few hands for planning and then add more to get it done. We need to remember that all of have responsibilities outside the MakeICT and thus many people doing a little will spread the time required.

Please post your interest here, along with your space.

This is for the planning group. On Monday, I will set up a time for the planning group to meet before the end of the week. I think a Zoom virtual meeting would be fast, and for those that wish to attend from the space, arrangements might be made.

I have created a Second Thread for comments about the open house. Please keep this thread for those volunteering to plan only.

John Nicholas
Woodturner

1 Like

What is required to be able to collect and then pay to the state the sales tax?

Most fairs require all vendors have proof of a tax registration to be approved for the fair. Seems like there may be a packet for temporary sales tax for individuals but as with all things government, nothing is straight forward or easy to navigate. It’s nothing like dealing with a private organization that is motivated to make transactions easy.

I would recommend, if possible, that all items be tagged and sold by makeict. A ledger would be kept by a sales person of each transaction, amount of taxes paid, and the maker to whom is owed the 75% commission. Checks distributed later. Especially since this is the first time and we don’t know how many sales can be expected.

Everyone would only be required to add their profits into their income taxes. Which in the case of small business owners is typically around 30% so price accordingly.

Edit: regarding my 30% income tax comment… If you are not a business I would assume that you would be taxed at the same rate as your income tax rate bracket. So you would have to figure out what that was based on last year’s taxes and then estimate this year. I’m not a tax professional, this is just my own opinion.

Here is the kdor page regarding fairs and etc. Kansas Department of Revenue - Special Events, Craft Shows, Trade Shows

1 Like

We have the sales tax package that Erik mentions. You are not required for occasional sales to get a sales tax number. You can use the info in the package to file sales tax for one here and one there,

Erik, The Policy of MakeICT has been that individuals will collect money and remit the sales tax. The policy assumes that we are all responsible adults and can handle our own finances. That approach and the 25% Commission was presented to the board last night as part of the request and approved.

1 Like

It used to be that makeict sold the item on Consignment then paid the maker their commission.

I’m curious how makeict expects to get their 25% Consignment fee if they aren’t selling the item on Consignment. Why not do as most fairs do and charge for the booth space and let members keep whatever their profit is?

1 Like

MakeICT works on an Honor System. They expect us to pay them. If they didn’t trust us, we could become like Go Create and pay $100+ a month.more and pay people to collect money calculate and make all the payments to the state and to individuals.

1 Like

Maybe I’m misunderstanding. So would the 25% fee be considered a donation and written off on members personnel income taxes. It seems pretty charitable. How long is the open house and is makeict advertising it to the general public?

According to the link below, which is the only makeict policy I’m aware of regarding makeict’s interest in the sales of member created works, the fee is 20% and works out exactly the way I described.

https://wiki.makeict.org/wiki/Consignment_Policy

1 Like
  1. Take any interpretation of the policy up with the Board. That is was the discussion last night.
  2. If you want to find out about days and hours, that is what the planning group that I asked for volunteers for to decide. We have a suggested date of 3/19 but that is not set. We have a suggested time 10:00 am - 4:oo pm. The planning group will make the decision.
  3. Check with your tax professional on the use of any donation, fee, expense on the treatment for taxes.

I will work on Textiles

Thanks, See you tomorrow night.

John