Tye dye

3 Likes

@Noahjwc last tip before I shut down for dinner. If you are needing soda ash, I recommend a pool supply place. Soda ash is the same as sodium carbonate, which is a common pH increaser for pools/spas

2 Likes

Lol I love autoincorrect

I didn’t think about pool supply. I use it to unrust steel

1 Like

There’s another method for dying I’ve been wanting to try, I bought a book with a CD 5 years ago. It’s called Breakdown Printing. You impregnate silk screens with thickened dye and let it dry on the screen. Then you have this mixture that reactivates the dye as you squeegee it onto the fabric, as the silk screen dye is removed the print changes.

Here’s a good explanation with samples:

Oh geez…yup, didn’t mean that!!

1 Like

@Malissa that sounds really interesting. The only part o don’t understand is how do you clean the screens after? I’d love to try if you do it at MakeICT

I will let you know if I ever get to that point. I knew people in Austin who did this and there is a way to get all the dye out of the silkscreen, because silk screen is not real silk and your using dyes for cellulose based fabrics, procion. The same dyes you use for tye dye.

1 Like

Yes to this, I only got three and it’s not enough. I am using RIT dye tho.

Is a mix of dyes and isn’t as good as procion. The colors are more diluted because it’s made for multiple fibers. I will be at the space Sunday around 530 for sure.

Are you going to be by the space this week? I can definitely loan you a few bottles. How many do you need and do you need rubber bands or gloves, etc? I’ll go through my box and see if I have anything useful.

Malissa is right about Rit. It works but generally does have muted colors. But since you already have it, why not use it!? I don’t mind some of the tulip dyes you can buy but they get a little expensive if you do a bunch. In the end, Rit washes out much less than tulip though. The fiber reactive procion dyes I use don’t fade over the years (future goals).

Most importantly Have fun! And remember, there’s no such thing as a bad tie dye. If you hate it, dye it again! :blush:

2 Likes

I should be Sunday or Monday evening. I do have rubber bands and gloves.

1 Like

@Noahjwc I almost forgot to do this! I will probably just leave some things later today for when you can pick them up. I’ll shoot you a message later and let you know where. I have a ton of squeeze bottles for dying, so I’ll grab half a dozen or so, some big some small.

You are interested in some techniques, look up Mr tie dye on YouTube. He’s pretty helpful!

1 Like

Will do!

Enjoy your vacation!

1 Like

I haven’t found my dye kit which has my Color Remover in it. I know I had it just a few months because I did some dying for Kansas City Fashion Week. If I find it I will let you know.

Dillon’s has it for $3 according to their website

1 Like

Ohh, which location?

I didn’t look at that.

1 Like

Look what I just found. I can leave it at the space tomorrow if you still need it. Also be happy to answer any questions. If anyone wants a technique class I can schedule one in October the weather is nice for it. I also have Jacquard but it had to be done in a pot of boiling water.

1 Like

Yes please! I’ve been working too much to start but I should soon!

1 Like