Tye dye recemendations

My daughter recently started tye dye. She has gone through her kit and I bought some dye for her, but I was looking for recommendations for dye and whatnot on the subject since I know next to nothing about it. Figured someone here did though.

3 Likes

Acrylic paint, diluted with water until it’s water-y or a little less than water-y. It works great!!

And then you let it air dry.
And then you put it in the dryer to set it.
And then you can wash in cold water and wear it!

Or that’s what we did for every shirt we made in middle and high school. Worked great!

1 Like

Golden is the best acrylic if you go that route. Dharma has inexpensive dyes in good qualities and quality. I have some colors I’m willing to share.

2 Likes

Try Dharma Trading Company. They have EVERYTHING related to dye and clothing. Here’s the link. You can get a catalog sent to you. I used them back when I was doing tye dye and Batik. Dharma Trading Co. :

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing the link. I’m at a conference and internet isn’t great. I’ll share more when I’m home.

2 Likes

Do not use tap water. Use distilled water and you will need a fixative soda ash, iron, or copper all work but will do different things to the dye. Soda ash is the most common fixative. There’s also a previous discussion in textiles. My favorite form of dying is dip dying when it’s 100 degrees and a good breeze. Many colors are a mixture and the heat and wind cause the color to separate and create interesting patterns.

1 Like

I recommend spraying all articles of tie-dye clothing with patchouli scent. Makes it more authentic.

4 Likes

I use soda ash at home for electrolysis. More chemically neutral I think. But that’s a different post.

I actually told her to put them in the oven on warm at one point. Now I wonder what different temps will do lol.

I’ll pass the word along and get her some dharma dye… Maybe some wax to try batik!

2 Likes

Heat and time make the color more vivid. If she’s using Procion it’s recommended to sit for 24 hours in a container. Dharma has a lot of tutorials as well.

1 Like

Here’s some inspiration:

Imagine my delight and surprise when I saw this out the window :open_mouth::open_mouth::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

This is my new shirt

···

On Thu, May 4, 2023, 20:14 Kez via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| KezC Maker Of Things That Do The Thing
May 5 |

• | - |

Here’s some inspiration:

Imagine my delight and surprise when I saw this out the window :open_mouth::open_mouth::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

6 Likes

I’ve also been watching this YouTube channel https://youtu.be/wG6NP0AtMXE

2 Likes

I saw that tye dye car yesterday lolololol

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing the link

1 Like

Mr. Tie Dye on YouTube has some great techniques. I agree that dharma is the best fiber reaction procion dyes. Soda ash is expensive to ship but I’ve had luck with pH increaser (sodium carbonate, not bicarbonate) from the pool stores.

3 Likes

I bought the stuff from the pool store too. Best time to buy and stock up is end of summer when it goes on sale.

3 Likes