TIG Welding Class/Assistance/Questions

Long story short, I’ve got a small (212cc) aluminum engine block that has a crack in it (and a second one that has a hole in it) that I need to weld up.

Assuming these blocks were stripped/cleaned of all combustible fluids, would it be possible to weld this?

I have access to the tools (at MakeICT), but I lack the official training. I’ve taken the metal shop safety & MIG welding classes, but I never got trained on TIG. I’ve watched numerous videos on the internet and I believe I understand the process. Is there any harm in taking in some scrap aluminum and “giving it a go”? Is there a specific approval for TIG vs MIG? If there is a requirement, I don’t see a TIG training session on the calendar, so what do I do?

Thanks,
Ian

2 Likes

Yes, probably weldable but I wouldn’t take that on as a first project. Cast materials absorb oil so that will really hinder your ability to learn.

TIG welding aluminum can be a little tricky anyway, so I would suggest learning on some clean mild steel to get your technique down. Then you can work up to more difficult tasks.

Last few times I’ve been in the hot shop in the welding area, it looked like the ATP was not functional. If memory serves me, the diversion is DC only, so really only practical for steel and stainless. You probably won’t have much success TIG-ing aluminum on DC.

I don’t recall what authorizations are required for the welding equipment, so I can’t help there but if you catch me at the space, I can show you a bit about it.

Eta: the diversion is ac/DC so it can weld aluminum, but again, I highly recommend starting with something easier and with a higher chance of success than a cast aluminum engine block.

2 Likes

TIG welding is usually taught by John Miranda, who is great at it. But I don’t see any classes coming up soon on the calendar, so I’d suggest going to the Request a Class form to request one.

2 Likes

Unfortunately there hasn’t been a welding authorization class offered at MakeICT for almost six months. I’ve raised this issue before.

1 Like

Request a class is done! (tried to do it the other day from work, but Google forms are blocked at work :()
@Gretchen is there a separate requirement for TIG certification?

According to the metalshop area policy,

Machine Access Policy

• Use of the Metal Shop requires attendance in the area-specific safety class. Completion of the safety class will grant access to the area and use of the basic tools.
  • Advanced tools require demonstration of safe and correct operation to an approved authorizer, as listed on the Wiki, or attendance in an instructional class. These tools are: Welders, Plasma Cutter, Forge, Lathes, Manual Mill, CNC Plasma, Powder coating equipment, Oxy / Acetylene torch, and the Tormach CNC Mill.

TIG is definitely more complicated than MIG, but if you’ve already taken the MIG authorization class, it sounds like that would count for “welders.”