Tents

Whatever we get, a little flair is in order. I mean, we are MakeICT after all!

3 Likes

This!

1 Like

What? With a million pounds of powder coating sitting on the shelf? Sounds like a good chance to practice mixing colors or maybe even putting layers in the jar and spraying it like that.

3 Likes

Only if I get help during the cleaning and powder coat process…

Those suckers are heavy and will probably take a half hour each to pre-heat and we’ll only be able to fit two of them in the oven at a time if we’re lucky.

3 Likes

Get an extra one for me to take home and I’ll be there with my own angle grinder.

2 Likes

Took the yellow cart in maintenance back to Jeff and picked up 8 brake drums from him.

All 8 are sitting by the smoker area.

3 Likes

Now to wirebrush!

5 gallon bucket is overkill. Full of concrete it’s about 80#. I used short lengths (12-16") of 4" pvc. Duct tape one end closed, fill with concrete and insert an eye bolt. About 20# each.

1 Like

A 3 gallon horse bucket is sturdier than a regular 5 gallon, has a more comfortable handle (once the plastic breaks off the 5 gallon) and is a more easily handled size

2 Likes

it seemed like book bags full of textbooks (or I guess laptops these days) did a pretty good job at holding down the 10x10 tent during the last event… so it would seem like 20 to 30 lbs would probably be a better target.

I think those drums come in closer to 35 lbs.

3 Likes

Have a couple of random people try to lift them… just to make sure they would be useable by a smaller person (asking for a friend :wink: )

6 Likes

Those saved the day!

Did the fabric get ordered? If not I have a wholesalers account and can get us a larger discount.

Not yet.

I was not comfortable presenting this project during the last finance committee meeting. I still need to sit down and come up with a parts list that I can tie a dollar amount to. In addition, I need to take a reality check as to how much effort the frame of the tent will take versus to purchase a complete ‘heavy duty’ tent.

4 Likes

Also… I’m probably going to be at the Haysville metal artisans shop this evening forging yet more stakes if anyone wants to join in the fun.

This time, they’re out of 5/8in bar stock and there is enough material to make at least 16 stakes.

4 Likes