Tents

It seems like we’re getting some decent use out of tents at and for MakeICT, it seems like we could justifying stepping things up a little after the past couple of events.

-After the Curtis Middle school event, one of the blue pop up tents is suffering from bent poles and previously ripped velcro attachments.

-The tent we have been borrowing for the renaissance fair, also isn’t in that great of shape. The poles and ropes are good (which are ours), but we need to come up with better stakes and a top.

-I have no clue what condition the other two pop up tents are in, but I noticed we don’t have a great way to really keep them from flying off like Mary Poppins.

Our friend from the renaissance fair is willing to let us borrow his bigger 30x30 tent for Maker May in June, but I think we need to look into a better long term solution. I would like to propose the following:

In the near term:

1. We come up with 6 to 8 weights of about 30 to 50 lb to help keep the tents we have from going airborn.
  2. We come up with a set of 3/4in thick stakes to go with the ropes we have
  3. We look into getting a garage tent (possibly from Costco for $280) that can be setup by 2 people for a day long event that we have the option to setup the day before hand (this is where having 8 weights would be handy)

In the long term:

1. Make a more robust frame to go under the existing blue canopies
  2. Take the lessons learned from the blue canopies and the Costco tent to build a beefy 20x20 canopy that doesn’t need a team of makers to setup, and maybe purchase a heavy duty 13 ounce or heavier fabric top (pricing looks like $650 for a fabric top like that)
7 Likes

When we decide on what to do, you can count on me for $200 towards this.

4 Likes

I’ll put $100 toward it. Can’t count on me for much heavy physical setup stuff, so I’ll help in other ways. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When I think of pop-up tents, I think of the little some shaped tents you take camping. I think I can picture the tent you described for the Renaissance fair but I’m not sure what you mean about the rest

Pop-ups are easy setup ones like these, I think.

2 Likes

I’m up for helping pattern and building at least 1 canopy. We would need to get the Adler going first.

2 Likes

What’s left on the Adler?

I’ll take a look at it in the morning before the milling class at noon.

I left the top of the pop up tent out in the lounge. @Malissa - Do you think 20yrds of 10oz duck cloth would be enough for a 10x10 top with a 9in valence?

1 Like

Duck is so heavy!

I have these for my tent and they work great. No weights needed with the screw anchors and straps., I’ve had my merchant tent in some pretty heavy winds too.

3 Likes

Duck actually comes in different weights but is usually not waterproof or resistant. I highly recommend Aquaduck it’s Sunbrella like but about have the cost with a 5-10 year warranty

2 Likes

Spiral stakes suck in pavement! Good for dirt though

1 Like

I didn’t know where the event was, but yeah, they would suck on pavement

22 for both tents 96 long and 58 at the widest point. We will definitely need a 60" wide fabric

1 Like

Ran the Adler for a few moments… It definitely needs a new power switch.

3 Likes

I have some concrete disks I use with my tent (I bought twice the normal amount.) I didn’t realize we were using a tent or I would have lent them again. We used to have some buckets of cement, I think, at Douglas, but maybe we chose not to move them?

1 Like

Ooo concrete buckets are easy to make. I made one on accident once. That’s a good idea!

3 Likes

The Adler now has a power switch similar to the band saws in the woodshop.

I also did a quick test to see how it worked… I probably need to dial in the tension, but you can tell it has some serious humph.

4 Likes

5 gallon bucked filled with concrete are a good system for tie downs. Relatively portable and work on most surfaces.

I got a reminder from Jeff Eck that he still has a truck load of semi brake drums.

I don’t have a problem with cleaning up the drums and putting some grey paint on them if someone else is up for decorating them.

2 Likes

We should paint chicken legs on them… cuz they’re drumsticks… and they are truck drums… delay that let me have some coffee first.

How many do we need?

4 Likes