Tape in the consumables budget?

A long time ago we talked about having a consumables vending machine for people to buy tape, sand paper, little stuff like that. When it comes to masking tape I know I should bring my own, if I leave a roll around it vanishes like the wind, stinks when I just need a tiny bit and forgot mine. Anyway we never got a vending machine but I wonder if a sign would do?

In addition there are some tapes that are not readily available. Paper transfer tape is great for masking off laser projects, way easier to remove from wood than masking tape, I rarely need 100 feet of it but when I do have a roll people have to be REALLY good friends with me if I’m going to let them borrow it:
https://www.amazon.com/Transfer-Medium-High-Adhesive-American-Made-Application/dp/B08563X52S/

And then there’s clear tape for the vinyl cutter - same story, it’s an investment:
https://www.amazon.com/Vinyl-Ease-Transfer-Alignment-Silhouette/dp/B07DF66LL9/

I wonder if we could get a few good rolls of masking tape, the two transfer tapes, and put up a sign to say “this is $$ per foot” or something? Kind of like the filament but different?

3 Likes

We talked about a similar idea for Masonite in the meeting last night: Have FabLab potentially buy a certain number of sheets per year, put some out periodically, and ask for donations.

I’ll add this to the meeting notes.

3 Likes

I sent my budget request in this morning. I’ve submitted a modified budget to see if we can get some of this next year.

Thanks for the input.

2 Likes

Yeah, I saw your group note about budget deadlines three days too late so I just started a thread here, thinking maybe it’s not really “budget” if we collect funds for it? sorry for the bad timing!

gemma I like the masonite idea too. storage is a challenge, we might have to reduce some member storage in the fab lab to find a wall to keep it but I’ll support however I can.

2 Likes

This is a good idea cuz I wouldn’t mind throwing some dollars in a jar to use some big masking tape for bigger projects!

2 Likes

Ditto

Do we still have the vending machine in the Lounge?
I shut it down ages ago because it was infiltrated by mice but otherwise it worked.
I really like the idea of having a consumables vending machine.
Though it doesn’t really solve the issue of only needing a little bit of tape and then having to deal with a newly purchased roll that’s either gonna get left behind or spend a year hiding out under the car seat.

3 Likes

@rustin.atkeisson and I took out as many of the old drinks in there, as they were expired (and gross to empty, but I have a chronic need to recycle lol), but I believe the machine itself was bought in an auction, though I don’t know the current situation on that.

2 Likes