Studio Lighting / Need Help with Scaffolding or Safe and Creative Ladder Alternatives

All,

We need to have the light fixture over the kiln re-wired as the ballast has gone out and we’re working in the dark over there. We would prefer not to have to move the kiln since it’s rather fragile and we don’t want to risk damaging it or the heating elements, which could cost many hundreds of dollars to replace/repair.

Does anyone have any ideas? Small scaffolding they can loan to the cause? Matched ladders with jacks and platforms or whatnot that would make it possible to safely work above the kiln in our cramped area?

Here’s what the corner looks like. There’s not much more than two feet of clearance between the kiln and the walls. The shelves on the right are attached to one another and the wall and the shelves behind them, and would be a lot of work to move. The shorter shelf immediately to the left can be easily moved. The longer shelf to the left (not pictured) along the east wall could be moved if necessary, though some disassembly may be required.

Thanks for any and all helpful suggestions!

You might be able to access the light from above the ceiling rather than
from below.

Curt

1 Like

I’ll check the dimensions. I have 5 foot wide scaff.

1 Like

I have one of those “bendy” ladders that turn into scaffolding. I’ll drop it off in the studio tomorrow (Wed). Just a loan. Let me know when you’re done.

2 Likes

@henrynelsonks the ladder looks just perfect! Thanks.

@Christian, there’s a scaffold ladder thingy in the ceramics studio that looks like it will be high enough to comfortably go over the kiln for someone to look at the lights. Can you take a look at it and let me know if it will work?

@JeremiahB had suggested that since @paul.maseberg did such a good job LED-i-fying part of the metal shop, that maybe he’d volunteer to help in the Ceramics Studio. If we wanted to set a day to work on it, I will be there, with anyone else that wants to help. Assuming, we have enough LED bulbs, and it’s appropriate and board-blessed to do so. Just let me know!

WOOT! Let there be light!

Thanks everyone!

Glad my scaffolding worked. I’ll pick it up soon.

Henry,

Thanks again! It was just what we needed.