Stainless steel sheets supplier

Can someone give me a link/address to a supplier that can sell me some stainless steel sheets in different thicknesses (3-6mm) to cut out parts for a project?

The Yard (Though not sure if they have sheets of stainless that big). If not, Maybe @jeff might be able to help you with that.

Are you looking for full 4’x8’, 5’x10’, or? I have some remnants (thickness 11-16 gauge) but if you want full sheets my suppliers are usually considerably cheaper than the yard… Although, I do use the yard when I need small quantities that do not meet the minimum orders for delivery. I’m not sure on the metric sized sheeting as I have not ordered metric sized to date. From my experience, Stainless Steel is considered plate steel above 3/16” (in fraction measurements) and is measured in gauge below 3/16” thick. Attached is a chart from a google search. Give me a call at the shop if you want me to look into it more. Online suppliers are cost prohibitive when I have looked into ordering material longer than 6ft. I am not certain when the width becomes an issue, but 1 stick of 1.25” aluminum pipe 8, 10, 20ft ranged from $60-380 with UPS/FedEx and $1,760 for truck delivery on the sample order (sample order had more items), shocked me to say the least as it was only 63lbs.

Jeff Eck

KCE Industries www.kceind.com

316 744 2841 (shop)

316 7O8 O3l6 (Cell)

1 Like

Looking to make Precious Plastic’s plastic shredder machine, needing 3, 5 and 6 mm stainless steel for the parts; if you go to their website and look for the shredder plans you can see all the plans. Also will need assistance in having these parts cut out for me using the CNC or whatever; if someone shows me how to cut 1 or 2 of these, I can probably do the rest.

This has been on my list of things to make. I have not been able to source a motor on my budget, so I stopped at laser cutting some test parts. I am less idealistic. I just want to make bigger things into smaller chunks. :slight_smile: At this point I don’t think we have the capabilities to cut precise close tolerance parts reliably on the plasma. They would require a bit of cleanup to make it all fit properly. It might be easier to cnc mill an aluminum housing for the bearings and try to plasma cut the blades. If that does not work I was thinking about having the blades laser cut by someone else.

I have seen one of our past/current members try the pp shredder. I would not consider it a 100% success, and I am sure it could be improved. What are your plans for the shredder? If you would like help it is a project I would be happy to help out on,

I have looked at the plans, and i am sure it could be reworked to use non metric thicknesses that would be easier to get in the US. I don’t see why you could not use a single thickness material, and just lap it in reverse to clean up the clearances, so that it would not catch going forward. It would reduce the paces where plastic would slip through.

I would rather make a counter rotating set of blades to better pull the plastic through the shredder. It would double the number of blades and extra set of bearings, it would also require a chain and tensioner, but it seems doable.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

1 Like

Yes, I would appreciate any assistance you can provide; I’d like to discuss your idea of counter rotational blades. I’m trying to reconnect with the guy who had one made, and he mentioned he had someone laser cut his parts for him, but have not had success finding him. I think his name was Joel and his “group”? Name was Take Five?

Really my long term goal is to make as many of the precious plastic machines as I can so local citizens can come and actually recycle/upcycle used plastics.

When are you available to meet and talk? I am available Tuesdays and Thursdays

I could come down Thursday night around 7-9pm.

1 Like

Sorry, plans have changed, going camping that night; maybe next week Thursday?

I think so, but lets talk see next Monday.