St. Patrick's Day Parade

We have been invited to walk in the Delano Paddy Day Parade this year, and its coming up soon!

Date: March 16th 2024
Time: Parade starts at 12, but we will need to be there 1 hour before.

The website says “The official parade route will go West on Douglas from McLean Blvd to Walnut St.” in case you’re wondering how far of a walk it is, and several of us have discussed meeting at MakeICT, carpooling there, parking a bit farther, and taking public transport to get there. Anyone willing to carpool and park should reply here so we can see, but depending on how many people want to participate, we may not need more than a few.

@rustin.atkeisson has offered his truck to tow a trailer, I believe with the Balista on it. I’m looking around for a possible banner for us to hold and will be buying some snacks to toss to the crowd. Any ideas for small items to hand out are welcome, but if we can’t pull it together, snacks are fine!

Please reply if you are wanting to walk with us!

1 Like

we might have a banner in the lounge closet…

1 Like

Remind me to look for it tomorrow after the meeting lol. If not, I’ve been looking at CVS to see how fast they are, and I have a backup in case they arent.

1 Like

The parade was awesome^^ felt shorter than usual, but the kids loooved @rustin.atkeisson 's dragons and the crowd was bigger than I thought it would be! The rennies were wonderful as I expected and it was an all around great time. Now for pictures!

Went ahead and repainted this cool flag we found in the Lounge, and it looked pretty good on the trailer!

Things I would like to see more of in the future would be participants to maybe carry some bigger flags and interact with the kids, and maybe some dragon puppets if the Rennies are kind enough to have us go with them again. (I’m already formulating a puppet in my head lol)

Thank you to Rustin for helping me with this, it was a much bigger event than I thought and it was really encouraging to hear people in the crowd say our name and have a familiarity with us.

4 Likes

Sock puppets. (One way to get rid of those darn singles.)

1 Like

Too late now, but it would have been cool if the ballista could have been detuned and used to shoot stuff into the crowd. I don’t know if they still allow candy or not.

1 Like

I did not know we had any, where might I find those? I may have a new hyperfixation on puppets and could possibly put together a class for kids and adults who want to try it out…I think it would be fun :smiley:

1 Like

Y’know, that did cross my mind but I wasn’t sure if they would let us in the event an unsuspecting person gets pelted with a shirt bomb lol…I think it would be cool but maybe not for a parade, more for an event that has all parties aware of what is happening.

2 Likes

I mean who doesn’t have a small batch of mismatched socks?

···

On Mon, Mar 18, 2024 at 8:35 AM Tricia Cortes via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| r3mm13 Committee Lead
March 18 |

• | - |

I did not know we had any, where might I find those? I may have a new hyperfixation on puppets and could possibly put together a class for kids and adults who want to try it out…I think it would be fun :smiley:

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Oh…I totally thought you meant we at MakeICT had like a box of single socks LOL

2 Likes

Like a hackables bin for textiles lol…

···

On Mon, Mar 18, 2024, 16:01 Tricia Cortes via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| r3mm13 Committee Lead
March 18 |

• | - |

Oh…I totally thought you meant we at MakeICT had like a box of single socks LOL

In Reply To

| ladeana Board Member & Classroom Management
March 18 |

• | - |

I mean who doesn’t have a small batch of mismatched socks? ··· (click to show quoted text, requires login)

3 Likes

Damn, this was fun to do last year to help out with, I’ve been busy with work lately. Looks like the weather was a lot better this year.

Last year we had to hand the kids the candy, we were told we couldn’t throw it.

2 Likes

I may have to introduce you to my pet graboid for puppet ideas. :wink:

···

On Sat, Mar 16, 2024 at 7:58 PM Tricia Cortes via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| r3mm13 Committee Lead
March 17 |

• | - |

The parade was awesome^^ felt shorter than usual, but the kids loooved @rustin.atkeisson 's dragons and the crowd was bigger than I thought it would be! The rennies were wonderful as I expected and it was an all around great time. Now for pictures!

Went ahead and repainted this cool flag we found in the Lounge, and it looked pretty good on the trailer!

Things I would like to see more of in the future would be participants to maybe carry some bigger flags and interact with the kids, and maybe some dragon puppets if the Rennies are kind enough to have us go with them again. (I’m already formulating a puppet in my head lol)

Thank you to Rustin for helping me with this, it was a much bigger event than I thought and it was really encouraging to hear people in the crowd say our name and have a familiarity with us.

3 Likes

And unfortunately I was under the impression that nothing was allowed to be passed out, but I think I misread it. There were people handing candy out but I know flyers weren’t allowed. We didn’t have anyone except me and Rustin this year though so it wouldn’t have worked anyway, but next year if we have more people, I’ll def get candy to hand out!

3 Likes

Omg you have a graboid?! :heart_eyes: that is so cool!!!

2 Likes

Graboid 2

4 Likes