Sourcing Masonite?

Is there a local source for Masonite? I am looking at about 4 full sheets but can make due with 2.

Lumber yard?

Wasnā€™t there a conversation about this sometime ago?

Itā€™s available at HD, Lowes & Menards according to their websites. Search using ā€˜masoniteā€™ or ā€˜hardboardā€™.

Arenā€™t there still a few sheets in the fablab?

1 Like

There are still a couple thinner 4x8 sheets in fablab.

If need be, Ian Cazabat or myself can coordinate with Spirit to see about getting more. Theyā€™re charging us $1/sheet.

2 Likes

I squirreled away several pieces from the bookshelves that got removed from classrooms and saved them from the dumpster. If you donā€™t mind some super attractive shelf liner on one side and a bunch of cobwebs youā€™re welcome to take a look at those. My ultimate goal is to CNC them into pegboard but that hasnā€™t happened yet and theyā€™re taking up space in the kiln room.

1 Like

I was asked by LaDeana to get more Masonite from Spirit. The price has gone back up to $1/sheet and the quality wasnā€™t as great this time.

Iā€™ll probably be the space to unload at 4pm. @xrunner - do you have a spot you want 4x8 sheets of Masonite stored?

2 Likes

Iā€™d prefer it to be as close as possible to the west woodshop so it can be cut down. Can it rest against a wall in the hallway for a couple hours?

2 Likes

We went ahead and loaded up carry mccartface with the panels. They are sitting in the wood shop at the moment.

2 Likes

Thanks. Iā€™ll plan on coming in the next hour or two.

2 Likes

Would you be able to arrange for more masonite again? I noticed that weā€™re extremely low at this point.

1 Like

Since we are still low on masonite, I think all of the masonite is still claimed, but I was unsure about this pile on the back of the bin. I did not find any names on the sheets.

1 Like

Anything in or next to the scrap bin should be considered available for use.

4 Likes

Even if thereā€™s a name on it?

I fully support this idea, btwā€¦ the area is getting overrun with ā€œclaimedā€ scraps that people arenā€™t using, Iā€™ve always said if you want to claim a scrap, take it home. Iā€™ll make that stuff into donor signs!

6 Likes

IMHO the scrap pile needs to be considered as available even when folks donā€™t remove their name. Some of that has been there too long and appears unclaimed.
There are plenty of other places in the room that people have stored their personal materials that arenā€™t in the scrap pile.

4 Likes

I work @ Spirit, but Iā€™ve never seen the masonite at the surplus ever, If I knew were to go Iā€™ll go grab some, Iā€™m here until 130PM

2 Likes

Last I heard from Rustin is that the low cost surplus Masonite is no longer available. (We were paying a low price for it.)

1 Like

Right, the group that was purchasing the Masonite in bulk switched to a reusable foam packaging materialā€¦ so congrats on that group going green, but unfortunately that means we may not see any Masonite from Spirit for a while.

4 Likes