Source for Unique Material?

I have a project or three that I want to try but I’m having a hard time finding the material. Does anyone have a -legal- supplier of used railroad rail that is local? Preferably in 1ft chunks. I found an out-of-state supplier with a reasonable price but I don’t feel like driving to WV for $30 of metal.

2 Likes

I just had to stop myself from going down a rabbit hole on google. Have you reached out to KDOT?

1 Like

I’ve been trying to avoid them honestly. I might try to get in touch with one of the railyards in town and ask if they have someone they sell recovered rail to. There is, interestingly enough, a train car parts dealer in town that sells new rail BUT its in bulk orders of sixty foot rails. Don’t think my kia can handle that.

2 Likes

The amount of dead railroads in this country is quite staggering.

1 Like

The South Kansas and Oklahoma RR has offices in Winfield if nothing in town works out… but they’re owned by the same company as the “not south” Kansas and Oklahoma RR in Wichita.

2 Likes

Oh its killing me. I’m literally staring at a 90ft peice of replaced rail thats been near my workplace for years. It’s killing me that what I’m trying to buy is RIGHT THERE. If only about a foot of it slid further down I could cut some off for safety reasons.

2 Likes

I will check with local Blacksmith Association to see if any body have a 1ft section…

3 Likes

Thanks, I’d appreciate it. So far I’m 0 for 3 on my attempts, will probably call around to metal recyclers tomorrow and try my luck.

1 Like

Axis recycling use to have some and would cut it to length, Roughly $30 per foot IIRC. Sometimes i see sellers on Facebook marketplace as well.

3 Likes

If you “procure” your own, be sure the line has been abandoned. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I have no intention to do anything like that. I thought about walking an active line and look for the cast offs from rail replacement/upgrades but that is considered illegal, even if they leave it out and rusting for years. There should be some kind of exception for people who want to clean it up and use it.

1 Like

I was just giving you a hard time. It’s in my job description. Or my personality profile. I keep getting those mixed up.

2 Likes

Yeah no worries mate, I got that vibe. In my line of work where another .gov individual might see and interpret something said in a public forum as problematic its best to do a minimum of CYA. Just kind of a reflex now. Think you and I will get along famously.

3 Likes

If you do find some, or if you have to buy in more bulk than you need, let me know. I would be interested in your extra

1 Like

I got some railroad rail from the Yard Store on Central a few years back

the Blacksmith group suggested local scrap yards, The Yard, and Tim’s Welding. I will keep an eye out if there are any who might personally have some…
Good Luck,

I’m going to try running a few places and see what shakes out. If that breaks down I guess I’ll have to think of similar material that may be easier to get.

The yard was a magical place with lots of I beams but no rail. Coworker said something about a place in Harper but was not very clear. Think I might have to redesign my idea to make use of alternative materials.

1 Like