Slab Flattening help

Hi all.

I have a 30" x 5’ slab that I’m needing to flatten to make into a coffee table. I have my woodshop authorization but have not been able to make it to a shopbot class yet.

The slab is really close to flat I think 1/8" or so on each side should do it.
I Have a 3" flattening bit that should make quick work of it.
I would be happy to pay someone for their help.

Thanks in advance!

Luke

2 Likes

What kind of wood is it?

Walnut and epoxy.

Good thing I asked. Whoever helped will need to have completed the hazardous materials authorization.

1 Like

Whoops, My bad! I don’t know if it matters but I do have my hazardous materials authorization. Thanks for the heads up.

2 Likes

I may be able to help. Just have a lot going on right now, as I’m sure many people do. Is the slab oversized? Or do you have a plan for clamping it?

1 Like

No worries, tis the season lol. For holding it down I would be able to screw or clamp it. It is 2" thick and heavy so maybe could get away with some good double sided tape? (I have a roll) Im available after 5 weekdays or any time weekends just let me know if you are able to find time. I would be happy to throw $50 to anyone for thier help.

2 Likes

@squarenuts or @doug.wilson, is there a ShopBot authorization class coming up soon?

2 Likes

I don’t think we have one scheduled at present.
I have been in touch with someone whe is hoping to help and discussing strategies to tackle it. If that’s not able to happen, I’d be glad to give a hand. Also, I’ll ask Doug to schedule a class as soon as he is available, but I imagine it will probably be in January at some point.

3 Likes