Shear/brake cracked

Noticed this crack on bottom of brake yesterday.
How do I tag someone in my post?

Use the @ to tag @rustin.atkeisson

Thanks for the info Jesse.

Something seemed a bit stiff in the operation of the shear/brake/roller during Tuesday night’s safety class. That pic would explain it…

@jeff @2002Fatboy - is this something you could weld back together? I don’t think my mystery metal welding skills are up to par on this one.

Lil jb weld and it should be fine.

···

On Thu, Oct 27, 2022, 14:09 Rustin Atkeisson via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| rustin.atkeisson MakeICT President & Metal Committee Lead
October 27 |

• | - |

Something seemed a bit stiff in the operation of the shear/brake/roller during Tuesday night’s safety class. That pic would explain it…

@jeff @2002Fatboy - is this something you could weld back together? I don’t think my mystery metal welding skills are up to par on this one.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Thanks

1 Like

Looks like someone may have tried to shear too thick of metal.

···

On Thu, Oct 27, 2022 at 2:09 PM Rustin Atkeisson via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| rustin.atkeisson MakeICT President & Metal Committee Lead
October 27 |

• | - |

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

We need a bigger shear there that can do more than ductwork metal

1 Like

How big is big enough? That shear is rated for 20 ga.
Steel Duct work is far thinner than that. A dedicated 36" stomp shear that will do 16 ga steel is probably going to run at least a couple grand and take up the same floor space. Then add a dedicated slip roll and press brake and it is going to get kind of crowded. Maybe after some more space is cleared up there would be room for it. That doesn’t consider the additional cost of a slip roll and press brake that will also handle 16 ga steel. A 16 ga limitation might not be enough for some of the work I do, either. I frequently need to bend or form 1/4" steel.

Might be good to keep an eye out for bigger better quality unit. If we replace with another harbor freight machine it will break again

Pretty much any 3-in-1 is going to be out similar quality. This was almost certainly the result of abuse. If this were mine, I would vee out the crack and braze it. Of course, we don’t have a working o/a torch that will do it and I don’t know if one could get enough heat into it with tig to complete the job. The last 3 in 1 I sold, I think I got a couple hundred for so they do come up used from time to time. I suppose if a stomp shear was found to replace this, the machine could live on as the slip roll and press brake.

1 Like

Getting a more industrial sheet metal shop going was definitely a long term objective of mine… Unfortunately everytime I run into a decent used shear, some ding bat bids it up to a more than new price… There is a used one on Facebook marketplace that looks promising, but yes, I need to clear and reorganize the place a bit before that can happen. We definitely need a new home for the rex spot welder, and I would really like to figure out how to regain floor space where all the powder is sitting. I don’t have a solid plan for making that happen yet.

I don’t think the slip roller has ever been used on that 3in1, but a part of that might be because it uses round nobs and goes you no way to index where each side of the roller is at.

… But for the time being, I would definitely like to get the crack fixed in the table so that the 3in1 is still useable. The oxy/acetylene welder should be functional, but I have not sat down to run the torch through it’s paces.

2 Likes

I know the Press brake and slept well have been used at least twice

I would say the bed can be repaired but it might only make it to “good enough”. It’s important that the blade can be be attached straight.

Ok how about repair the “3 in one” for now and sell spot welder at auction? We can call auction service and get it sold no problem. Might not bring much but who cares it’s gone. I can arrange sale if needed.

1 Like

1 Like

@Jesse, there are strict internal rules on how to sell things that are owned by MakeICT. Also, I think we’re going to try selling the spot at our Dec. 3rd Founder’s Day event.

1 Like

There was some discussion about auctioning stuff off that failed to sell under the 3 nerd rule…

If that spot welder doesn’t sell at the swap, I would not be opposed to putting the spot welder along with other unsold goods and equipment up to an auction.

2 Likes