Securing the building

I discovered this unlocked window on my perimeter check this morning.

7 Likes

Thanks for checking on these things and pointing them out!

4 Likes

I guess it’s that time of year again. A couple days ago somebody else found Windows open. I suggested that all windows should be looked at to Ensure they are locked, some time back. I was told then that it was silly to do that since anybody opening a window behind a curtain would obviously lock the window when they closed it.

2 Likes

Perimeter Check

···

On Mon, Apr 1, 2024, 14:38 Dave Hanson via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| whateg01 MakeICT Member
April 1 |

• | - |

I guess it’s that time of year again. A couple days ago somebody else found Windows open. I suggested that all windows should be looked at to Ensure they are locked, some time back. I was told then that it was silly to do that since anybody opening a window behind a curtain would obviously lock the window when they closed it.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Last guy out is supposed to check all the windows… it is a giant pain when I am the last guy out. People are specifically told to make sure to close the windows and to check them at orientation…
(We need to think up some way to secure them that depends less on people)

3 Likes

I remember that instruction from orientation and have avoided being last out. But do wish to pull a late night 3D print or two and so need to not be afraid of the arming/disarming sequence. Checking windows is easy when ur on wheels. But being tired is … but isnt… an excuse.

Pondering window continuity check panel that is way less complex than James Bind level stuff. Just window magents that only turn on a light. The reverse but not really of how they are utilized in alarm systems. We dont need to do anyth9ng beyond have them mapped to a diagram next to the alarm-set box.
Either the board says “sone window is unlatched” or it displays which one. If I installed it would only false alarm [light up] once a day or less.

Low key reliable matters as much as low cost. No? Still… thats way too muchbalarm wire to be pulling forveach window. But maybe gang all singkevroom sensors so it just says which room. Not which window.
System might dependvon a green light at each window showing system is properly engaged.
I have other thots but will look forvthe person to explain them to.
Im not an alarm system designer. Butbwas once or twice, a user of systems. And have customized sensors and sensor mounts before.

It’s not just closing the windows; they also need to be latched. I’ve found Windows open, closed but not latched, doors closed but not latched. The only way for now is to actually check them.

I’m all for some system that detects those things but like you said, it’s a lot of wire to pull and a lot of devices to connect.

3 Likes

Yes, i will [help] hang the bell on the cat.

I dont have a design or alarm latch specifics in mind. But pulling wire takes time.
Deciding what kind[s] of wire isnt easy. But the list isnt that long. Pull one or two of each? Start now and finish by next year? Time to evaluate sysyem type if it serms inevitable?

I do not wish to distract from the current reality. Check them all. Every door and window.

And once wired. That actually just starts a new list of system complications. False sensor states? Storm induced power downs?

Yeah, checking doors and windows works, even if we build a system.

Btw, i wouldnt help build a system designed by JUST me. Im over encouraged by the “System in a box” at Lowes.
See, it says its easy.

Im not fooled, and easy reliability matters as much as cost or difficulty.

1 Like

If you open a window you close the window. It’s that simple.

···

On Wed, Apr 10, 2024, 11:16 Teya Chavez (or Tim if you knew me when…) via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| Teya MakeICT Member
April 10 |

• | - |

Yes, i will [help] hang the bell on the cat.

I dont have a design or alarm latch specifics in mind. But pulling wire takes time.
Deciding what kind[s] of wire isnt easy. But the list isnt that long. Pull one or two of each? Start now and finish by next year? Time to evaluate sysyem type if it serms inevitable?

I do not wish to distract from the current reality. Check them all. Every door and window.

And once wired. That actually just starts a new list of system complications. False sensor states? Storm induced power downs?

Yeah, checking doors and windows works, even if we build a system.

Btw, i wouldnt help build a system designed by JUST me. Im over encouraged by the “System in a box” at Lowes.
See, it says its easy.

Im not fooled, and easy reliability matters as much as cost or difficulty.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

8 Likes

Before chasing any open/close “solution” (which seems to come up whenever the weather is getting nicer), we may also want to look at installing hardware on most windows so they will not open. Leave like 1-2 available to open per room. And that’s it. Not sure what ramifications that has for code, but something as simple as putting stickers on the closed ones may be enough?

5 Likes

I think the Do not open except in case of fire /emergancy whatever stickers is actually a really good idea, so we cut down the number of windows people need to check.

1 Like

Some windows need to be opened for ventilation, like in metal shop.

I do like the idea of “you open it, you close it.” There have been times I’ve opened a window, then asked others in the room if they want them to stay open when I leave - with a reminder that they now have the task of closing them.

4 Likes

I like the idea of “you open it you close it”, too. That is what we tell every member at orientation. Unfortunately we have a lot of members that are easily distractible( squirrel) and that has not proven as reliable as we have hoped.

3 Likes

I’d propose that the “you opened it, you close it” method works best if there is no exception for “tell someone that they’re now responsible for closing it”.

Any particular person is much more likely to remember something they did than something they were told.

So, close it when you leave and if someone immediately wants it open, they’re much more likely to remember to close it when they leave.

I don’t think people are being intentionally irresponsible. I do think that it’s a characteristic feature of memory to work best for an action and not for words.

4 Likes

I don’t think I’d call it “intentionally irresponsible”, but certainly the last person out is lazy, imo. I’ve been about to leave at the same time as somebody else and they’ve said oh I checked this hall so you don’t need to. I’ll ask if the checked each window and door and they reply, no the just made sure the lights were off. So I tell them thanks, then I go check them. I don’t know if it’s because people think that since they wouldn’t leave a window open, neither would anybody else. Or maybe it’s, what are the odds?

I’ve said it before, but maybe it’s the military background that makes me walk the half and check the windows and doors, but a job not done right is a job not done.

3 Likes