Scouts & MakeICT- Let's Create Something New Together!

Good morning everyone! My name is Jamie Deneau and I am a volunteer with the Boy Scouts of America. Recently, my Director and I met with the Board and discussed the idea of starting a STEAM based Venturing Crew at MakeICT.

On Monday July 8th (Maker Monday), my team will be at MakeICT to answer questions, begin building a team, and brainstorm.

So, what is Venturing?

Venturing is an inclusive co-ed program through the Boy Scouts of America for males AND females aged 14-21 (or 13 and completed the 8th grade). It’s operated through Venturing Crews- units of youth and advisors that meet on set schedules and plan activities and events.

How would this work with a Makerspace?

We hope this would open the opportunities of the Makerspace up to Wichita’s youth. Hopefully to youth that wouldn’t normally have access to the type of machines/technology/artistic avenues that MakeICT provides.

What will the experience be like?

This is malleable and a work in progress. We have been brainstorming and coming up with various ideas. This is an opportunity for teens to gain access to technology and new experiences. This could be anything from learning a new art/skill to working on and completing a project to help an organization/person in the community. The possibilities are immense!

Why should we do this?

Think back to your 14 or 15 year old selves. You were curious, imaginative and brilliant - and were looking for a way to show the world what you knew you were capable of. We can give Wichita’s youth this opportunity. MakeICT would open doors for these kids that they might not had even known existed. This is the step up so many need to help them find what they are truly capable of.

How do we do this?

Let us know you want to help. A Scouting background is NOT required, just a willingness to impact teens lives in ways you didn’t know were possible through art and technology.

Please ask any questions you might have. ALSO, come to the general information/interest meeting at MakeICT on Maker Monday- July 8th, the meeting starts at 7pm. We can give a broader more detailed picture in person.

Reply to this thread or reach out to David Springs if you’d like to be at that meeting!

1 Like