Scouting and MakeICT - Venturing Opportunity!

Hello! My name is Kevin Gorman and I am a District Director with the Boy Scouts of America. I recently had coffee with some of your Board members and discussed the idea of starting a STEAM based Venturing Crew at MakeICT. I thought I would post a note on here to brainstorm ideas, start to build a team, and answer any questions you might have so that we can get started.

So, what is Venturing?

Venturing is an inclusive co-ed program through the Boy Scouts of America for males AND females aged 14-21 (or 13 and completed the 8th grade). It’s operated through Venturing Crews- units of youth and advisors that meet on set schedules and plan activities and events for youth.

How would this work with a Makerspace?

We hope this would open the opportunities of the Makerspace up to Wichita’s youth. Hopefully to youth that wouldn’t normally have access to the type of machines/technology/artistic avenues that MakeICT provides.

What will the experience be like?

We are still brainstorming this but we are thinking the Venturing Crew youth would meet at MakeICT a few times a month. One time would be scheduled to be learning or experiencing something new. The other time would be to work with the newly learned skill or continue to work on a skill or project that had been learned previously. Again, this is a work in progress and the experience malleable.

Why should we do this?

Think back to your 14 or 15 year old selves. You were curious, imaginative and brilliant - and were looking for a way to show the world what you knew you were capable of. We can give Wichita’s youth this opportunity. MakeICT would open doors for these kids that they might not had even known existed. This is the step up so many need to help them find what they are truly capable of.

How do we do this?

Let us know you want to help. You don’t have to have Scouting background, just some time and a “want” to help young people have experiences and succeed through art and technology.

Next – please ask any questions you might have. We hope to have a general information/interest meeting at MakeICT soon. Reply to this thread or reach out to David Springs if you’d like to be at that meeting!

4 Likes

I would be interested in volunteering and perhaps getting some information on the program for my own son who will be 13 this year.

4 Likes

Gorman, I remember you from troop 450. If I can get my son back into scouts, I would definitely be interested in volunteering with this.

1 Like

Thanks for posting! I have been remiss in my duties as I was supposed to get the ball rolling here. I know we have several Eagle Scouts who are members… what better way would there be to pass on your love of scouting than to help some future makers.

You don’t have to have been a scout, though. More importantly, these are the kids who were just like you were in school. The ones in rocket club or spent hours perfecting their ability to draw super heroes. Let’s get enough volunteers to rotate people in so they can see the kind of people they might gro up to be!

2 Likes

Ok. We are going to have a meeting on this on June 11th at 7pm. Just join us if you are interested in helping. It should be fun.

1 Like

I’ll come check it out. It would be cool to get some of the scouts involved with the inner workings of makeict also. If they are interested we have a ton of service projects coming up and all these scouts could learn a lot about leadership through our own leaders.

2 Likes

I totally agree. It would be good for both of us :slight_smile:

1 Like

Let me bump this back up to folks as a reminder.

This sounds awesome, I would love to help!

1 Like

We have an interest meeting on the calendar for June 11th.

I will be out of town, will a summary be posted afterwards?

512-228-7020 cell- Jamie Deneau or email: ja.renee17@gmail.com
MakeICT venture.pdf (788.9 KB)

1 Like

Good morning everyone!! Looking forward to seeing you all at the interest meeting tonight at 7pm at MakeICT!!!

(and it’s not to late to invite friends and spread the word!)

Thank you!

1 Like

We had a really good meeting last night with the BSA getting into the details for a venturing crew with makeict as the charter organization. It sounds like a great opportunity for both organizations!

Essentially venturing crews run tandem to regular scouting. These are young men and women aged 14 to 21 who join venturing crews separate from regular scouts in the Wichita area. For example there is a shooting crew, an archery crew, tabletop gaming crew, etc… already in existence around the Wichita area. We are wanting to start a maker crew.

Well be setup at Maker Monday July 8 to talk to anyone who would be interested in joining the committee to lead these young people. Also, if know of any 14 to 21 year olds who you feel might have a good time joining the crew then let them know about the July 8 Maker Monday 7 to 9 p.m.

Our committee of leaders will need to complete a background check and youth protection training. We are thinking we’ll meet twice monthly with projects ranging from making crew tshirts, to builds possibly as big as magic wheelchair.

What do you guys think?

3 Likes

Sounds like fun Erik… Count me in as soon as I get back in town. I can’t make the maker Monday, but I can totally help out.
It will be great to have some kid power in the space!

3 Likes