SawStop Back Up and Running 4/16/22

Update. Saw is up.

I’ll was in this afternoon with new blades and brake.
Updated to reflect repair.

3 Likes

Saw is up

1 Like

Thanks for all the trouble of replacing those modules!

It seems like we have more than the average number of activations (in reality, I have no idea, but that’s how it seems). Do we have any indication what’s up with the SawStop?

3 Likes

I’m glad I don’t own a Sawstop. I’ve only used this one once and it ran nice but it does seem to trigger a lot.

About the SawStop.
Since taking on the role of Area Lead January 1st the Sawstop has activated four times. This is indeed a higher triggering rate than we’ve experienced in the past.
Of the four activations, two (the first and most recent activations) appear to be user error: the first being a contact issue involving heavy pencil marks and a c-clamp, and the second involving wet wood. These activations exemplify the correct functioning of the SawStop sensor and break. Another of the activations was determined by SawStop’s proprietary analysis to be caused by electrical noise and their customer service has been adamant that this was an anomaly and not indicative of any “saw-health” issues. In fact a loosely fitting riving knife almost certainly contributed to this occurrence, and was promptly remedied. As for the remaining activation, there is no clear error involved and I am still awaiting the results of SawStop’s analysis. At the suggestion of customer service I have taken the additional precaution of replacing the anti-static arbor belt. In addressing possible causes and sending in every tripped brake (regardless of reason, known or unknown) for analysis, I hope to come to some satisfactory understanding of the issue and reduce the number of inappropriate trips.

In addition to the aforementioned line of action, I am working on a few other measures:
Acquiring moisture meters and possibly a second metal detector.
Developing clear signage for safe use (this is a shop wide endeavor going far beyond the SawStop and taking far more time and effort an anticipated)
Offering advance use classes, and tool maintenance classes/authorizations.

Bottom line is that the SawStop is an awesome tool and offers a level of protection that is well worth it, but it is a digital/mechanical tool and only works as well as it is used and maintained. If anyone has any further suggestions as to how we might best serve each-other in safety and productivity I urge you to let me know.

Thanks, and here’s to safe and happy making!

4 Likes

Might ask them where we can plug in and what impeedance profiles we can use to monitor in house. I dont want to ‘hack’ a saw stop cartridge but I can monitor noise in the machine and look for issues before the become problems. I’m actually suspicious of ground bounce.

2 Likes

@james.a.seymour,
I’m not sure what ground bounce is, but the possibility of poor electrical input seems a natural and often floated concern.
In theory the SawStop searches for such issues every time it’s turned on as it runs its start-up diagnostic.
Also in theory, our less than two-year-old many-thousands-of-dollars electrical system should not be exhibiting such faults.
I will undoubtedly be talking with SawStop’s tech crew again tomorrow and will voice your questions/suggestions.

And hey, you gonna be in tomorrow? I’ll load up that dust-extractor right now!

2 Likes

Yep I’ll be in and we can look at it

2 Likes