Saturday - Metalshop Cleanup/Small Project day

I could use some help Saturday afternoon with catching up on a few projects in the hot shop.

Here’s the list of what I would like to try to tackle but it depends on how much help I have:

1. Build a new stand for the big buffer in jewelry that would be better in the metalshop (Jeff Eck has already cut and donated the pieces and hardware for this project) - just needs some drilling, welding, and maybe some paint
  2. Finish building 2x72 belt grinder (parts are cut, just need them welded, drilled, assembled, and maybe painted)
  3. Cleanup sheetmetal storage rack and find a better spot for the rack. (anything with under a square foot of usable material is getting recycled unless someone has their name and date on it)
  4. Remove wood paneling above alcove and lay down a sheet of plywood to turn that loft area into a storage spot
  5. See if the Rex spot welder will run off of a standard 220v connection (if it does, we’ll get it off the pallet)

If anyone is up for helping, please let me know in advance. I’m not sure how much overtime I’ll be working this weekend yet, but I should be available after 11:00am Saturday.

6 Likes

This is purposely being done at the same time that jewelry is doing their cleanup day in hopes that it aids in helping them maker better use of their area.

So, the priority task for this weekend will be to build a stand for the buffer.

3 Likes

Hi @rustin.atkeisson, I checked and it looks like I can be there ~3pm to 5:30pm.

1 Like

I’ll be there… see you at 11! Will have to duck out for the 1 pm “How to Teach a Class” class.

2 Likes

Big thank you for all the help today from Brad Cozine, Jeremiah Wood, Dean Day, Gretchen Koch, and Michael Atherton for the help today!

We didn’t knock out the entire list today, but we did make a nice dent in it.

7 Likes

Keep getting stuff done, but nothing else on that list yet!

Big thanks to Abel and Jeremiah for knocking out a new stand to hold the grinders!

Also, thanks to Alex for helping to hang the cattle car in the cold metalshop!

7 Likes

Down to #5 on the todo list…

There may be some more reorganizing to do, but for now, at least it doesn’t feel like the sheetmetal monster that was in the corner isn’t going to leap out and give someone tetanus now…

Also… Once the cabochon is done, that will free up a nice corner to make a powder coating dispensing station…

3 Likes

I dunno what a cabochon is but I can’t wait until we have one!

Yeah, still waiting to see that new cabuchan! Lol

Though, I did manage to clean up a bit of the powder coat stuff today in new restaurant grade plastic bins…

I’m kinda skipping the giant dispensing station idea with how much of a mess it’s been just filling up the buckets. (Sorry, but the smoker area may be a bit more colorfully now). I did think about going the pull out drawer route but I kinda dislike the idea of pulling out a drawer with 100lbs of fine powder sitting on it that could potentially topple over. So now I’m thinking that maybe a rack of lazy Susans would be a good option for ease of access to the materials without worrying too much about that gravity thing.

The MSDS sheets have been duck taped to the containers along with a sample part showing the finished color.

5 Likes

Awesome