Rotary Table

Anyone going to be around today that would be willing to show me the rotary table ?

I’m not 100% sure that it is ready to be hooked up right now. I did a bunch of re-wiring in Mario about a month ago and I don’t remember if I finished with the rotary wiring. Not sure if anyone has used it since then. I can check on it around 4:30 after the 3D printing class today.

1 Like

I do still need to install a new plug for the rotary; I designed one that should automatically switch to the rotary driver when it is plugged in. If that doesn’t work I’ll just put in a switch. I’ll probably get that sorted later in this week

On my laser it has a 4 prong aviation plug that goes from the y axis motor to the right firewall/bulkhead/partition (whatever its called lol) super easy to change out just unscrew y axis plug then screw in rotorary tool thats it for electronic hook up.

Yeah, ours has a similar plug on the right-hand side of the bed. But you also have to switch the control signal from the y-axis drive to the rotary driver inside the electronics compartment. This has been done incorrectly in the past, which caused both the rotary motor and the driver to be fried. I designed a plug that will automatically enable/disable the appropriate driver when the rotary is plugged in. Just need to remember where I put it…

2 Likes

I’ll head convene a search party.

Signed,
Missing the coherent light etched images on my pottery.
DWH

Well, I didn’t have any luck finding it at home, so I probably left it in one of the laser cutter tool boxes. Hopefully. I’ll try to check tonight.

Things like that where the switching is done automatically are awesome. Besides reducing human error where somebody forgets, it’s just way more convenient for everybody.

Yeah, I think it will be pretty nice.

I didn’t find it at the makerspace, so I searched at home again and finally dug up the box that had all the parts in it. Then I decided that I needed to make a few changes, and I didn’t feel like rebooting into Windows to use Fusion 360 so I ended up re-modeling the entire thing in Onshape. Parts are printing now, so after a bit of testing and tweaking it should be ready to install in a couple days.

1 Like

Thanks dude I’m excited to use it again.
DWH

The new plug is installed, and works as expected. Unfortunately the cable ended up being a little too short, so it doesn’t reach when the table is lowered enough to actually use the rotary. I found some 4-conductor cable in Electronics that should do the job. I’ll get it assembled and probably bring it back Sunday afternoon to test.

4 Likes

It’s alive! Thanks @Christian snd @ssaner for all that you do !

1 Like