Roofing starts on Monday!

Roofing starts Monday. If you are one of the few people who come in early on weekdays, you might check before you park. Be aware there may be more noise than normal.

If you haven’t contributed to the roof fund, this would be a good time!

9 Likes

Do we need to start planning a roof completion party?!

4 Likes

That is a party I could get behind. Actually, I would get behind most parties, if I am being honest!

8 Likes

Do we have an estimated completion date?

3 Likes

The last I had talked with Buckley is that if would be completed in about 2 weeks, so right right before the renaissance faire.

4 Likes

I have questions about the existing roof. Will they be removing the existing material and putting in new? And what is the existing material? If the existing roof is a membrane (rubber, EPDM, etc) the fabric is fantastic for other uses. I have put large scraps in my own garden as weed barriers and walkways. I have used it as tarps and sun shades. It takes grommets very well.

I ask because I hate seeing good material hit the dumpster and landfills. But another thought would be selling the old roof fabric as a way to recoup more of the new roof costs. The roofers typically remove it in 10-12’ strips.

4 Likes

Insurance has agreed to allow us to do a recover. (Put a roof on top of a roof)

The setup will help add r-value to the roof and hopefully reduce our utility costs.

The current setup is 1 1/2in of insulation under about an inch of tar.

The new setup will put a decking on top of the existing roof and glue on a new memberane on top. With how this is being done, the roof will be warrantied by the manufacturer for 20yrs and give us coverage for everything up to where insurance would have to kick in again.

Below is a photo of the existing roof system. This chunk is currently sitting right inside the door of the boiler room.

6 Likes

Also, on a BIG NOTE:

DO NOT PLAN ON DRIVING BEHIND THE BUILDING.

There is a big telehandler (forklift) sitting back there that will most likely win in a fight with a small sedan.

9 Likes

Ok. Re-cover is better than wasting all the existing material in my opinion. Thanks Rustin!

4 Likes

I hope lots of people start documenting this with photos!

3 Likes

Yup…. We got a few in today while trimming a tree. Buckley requested that we trim back a tree to give more room for their construction crew and prevent the tee from rubbing on the new roof surface. One of our awesome members was nice enough to offer his arborist skills to get the task done today.

r

7 Likes

Thankyou for trimming the tree mysterious arborist :slight_smile:

···

On Sun, Sep 17, 2023 at 1:07 PM Rustin Atkeisson via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| rustin.atkeisson MakeICT President & Metal Committee Lead
September 17 |

• | - |

Yup…. We got a few in today while trimming a tree. Buckley requested that we trim back a tree to give more room for their construction crew and prevent the tee from rubbing on the new roof surface. One of our awesome members was nice enough to offer his arborist skills to get the task done today.

r

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

3 Likes

Buckley’s team has been hard at it today. They’ve cleaned off the roof and started putting down the backer boards.

10 Likes

With what we saw in Classroom 3 last night, it might be good to get some sort of idea of a schedule. The area leads are going to want to make sure to cover stuff when they are working directly above head.

Members should also be prepared to clean up a lot of dust/debris before working in the areas.

5 Likes

Example of the debris we saw in room 3 last night. It was on almost every surface. Thanks to @SteveO for cleaning up!

4 Likes

3 Likes