Resin printer cleaning station solvent

I am finally going to jump into resin printing.

Does anyone know of a source of 99% ipa or denatured ethanol in a gallon size in town? All of the Alcohol solvents/strippers I have found at the box stores (website) seem to be a some combination of ethanol and methanol. I see Walgreens 91%ipa is about $8/gal in 16oz bottles@$0.99.

How do you test resin concentration in cleaning solvent? Do you use it stop dissolving resin off of prints?

My process I use works well for me
I use regular plain old rubbing alcohol
I have 2 containers big enough to hold my biggest machine part probably the Bed.
I have a dirty rinse and a clean rinse then if you like a rinse under hot water.
This has worked well for me.
Rubbing alcohol is fairly cheap at least it was before covid.
Finally I throw it under a uv light or out in the direct sunlight for a quick dry.
I use this for both tool and parts

1 Like

2 Likes

I agree, rubbing alcohol works fine without that pesky "might explode " thing. For small parts and minis I have some in a sonic parts cleaner, run it for 5min, remove the part and rinse. I filter the cleaning solution about every other day if I’m going print crazy.

1 Like

We’ve used 99% alcohol and it does leave less residue. We bought ours off Amazon. Don’t recall the price but it was pretty cheap by the case. I’ve read of some people buying online and then testing what they got only to find that it wasn’t as high concentration as advertised, so caveat emptor. We have also used cleaners like mean green in an ultrasonic cleaner which seemed to do a better job getting resin from areas like crevices where the liquid doesn’t really rinse very well. Now what we do is put the part in a Ziploc bag then add 99% alcohol and submerge the whole thing in an ultrasonic cleaner full of water and find that gives us the best of both worlds.

1 Like

Yeah, I buy mine on Amazon, too. Haven’t seen any 99% locally. I use one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/ELEGOO-Mercury-Washing-Machine-Turntable/dp/B08626WF87

You can cure the resin in the alcohol and either filter it out or let it settle to the bottom and drain the clean(er) alcohol from the top.

1 Like

Our curing station is an old holiday tin with a string of UV LEDs wrapped around the interior powered by a little wall wart. Eliminates the need for the turntable

2 Likes

I buy this Savant 99% Isopropyl Alcohol (4 Gallon Pack) and also Mean Green Cleaner & Degreaser Super Strength (2 Gallon Pack). Honestly, I prefer using the Mean Green.

never had any problems using 91% alcohol from Walmart.

1 Like

Same here