Reglazing?

Hi! I had a piece come out of the last firing that’s really patchy/thin in some spots, I didn’t do a very good job painting the glaze on. I’d like to reglaze it, but I’ve never done that before. Does anyone have a favorite method? I’ve seen some that involve hair spray and a heat gun.

1 Like

Last time I reglazed I just painted it on and fired it

I reglaze all the time. I get so ready cool effects.
I use clear or just regular glaze. The trick is to brush or dip and let dry longer than normal, the clay will not soak it in so it was to air dry.

2 Likes

I’ve reglazed a couple of pieces as well. Brushing on a light coat generally works pretty well. Don’t go too heavy as there’s a greater chance of glaze running off the pot during firing. A note with your piece saying you are reglazing is appreciated so the person loading the kiln knows they may want to put a ‘kiln diaper’ under your piece to catch any glaze that may run.

2 Likes

The hardest part of reglazing is getting the new glaze to stick to the already fired piece. Although, the hairspray thing sounds very interesting. I agree with Patrick, note that it is a reglaze and use a sacrificial plate just in case the glaze runs.

1 Like

I’ve reglazed a lot of stuff. I’ve used fine sand paper to rough up areas so the glaze has something to grip

1 Like