Programs for 3D printing and other machines

I am wondering what programs are used for the 3D printer? Would tinkercad work? Or should I do thingiverse? Or another one?
What about a program for screen printing? Can I use any program and it just needs to be a specific type of file? (I do a lot in photoshop, illustrator, silhouette studio, etc. so if any of those work, I just need to know what type of file to make it to screen print)

Also, I don’t know much about the Shopbot, CNC PlasmaCutter (or other machines in the metal shop), or the laser cutter…are there programs online that you design your project in? Or do you have to design them at the workshop? If you can design it at home online, what program(s) are needed? Or can you use any program as well as it’s in a specific format file?

1 Like

The 3D modeling software that is used most around MakeICT is Fusion 360 from Autodesk. It can be downloaded for free for educational or hobby use. It is useful for 3D modeling for the 3D printers, for the Shop Bot, and for the Tormach.

That said, I personally, have been using an open source software called FreeCAD. It works a lot like Fusion 360, but is certainly not as refined and doesn’t have all of the features. But it so far does what I need AND it runs on my computing platform of choice :slight_smile:

Other software can be made to work as well.

1 Like

As far as 2D engraving and cutting on the laser, plasma and shopbot, most members use inkscape for vector line art and gimp for raster (pixel) editing - like photographs and stuff.

Photoshop and illustrator are better options than gimp and inkscape. You’ll need to assign colored strokes to your line art in illustrator for each different function on the laser. As an example red might signify to the laser that you want this object to cut through. Blue might be set to engrave the entire object with lesser power. Colors don’t matter though. You’ll define what each color does in the the laser software itself.

1 Like

WAHOOO FREECAD

I’m not the only weirdo!

Tinkercad works keep in mind it’s like MSpaint of 3d cad. Which makes blender the VI of 3d cad.

I’ve moved through the toolchain (is that the right phrase?)

tinkercad to cura to octoprint.

Freecad to cura to octoprint

My favorite-> thingaverse to cura to octoprint.

I thingaverse the heck out of stuff

I think the space uses a different slicer than cura but it should work the same. .stl file -》slicer (makes it gcode) -》 printer

I’ve also seen James L just write gcode but don’t do that that’s creepy.

3d printing is a great addition to a makertoire

2 Likes

Hey, James… have you ever tried the FreeCAD integration with KiCAD? Curious if it is any good.

Whhaaaaaaaattt?

What black magic is this that you speak?

Sounds like I’m a googling tonight…

Here is a possible starting point. I haven’t tried to do this yet.