Pressure washer leak

I came in to the print area to grab my new Injun Trubl tshirt that Marc left for me yesteday and i noticed that someone had left the water to the pressure washer on. I cant seem to figure out how to turn it off.

I unplugged it and tried turning knob doesnt seem to be shutting it off. Its wasting a bunch of water.

2 Likes

I would go get it turned off but my badge is in my truck which is broken down in KC.

2 Likes

It had a steady stream running from the wand yesterday. I imagine that would add at least $100 to our monthly water bill if it runs continuously. Maybe the wand needs to be replaced?

1 Like

The pressure washer isn’t the problem. It’s the shutoff valve. The inner workings are compromised. I’ve mitigated the problem for now, but I’ll need to replace the valve. I don’t know where the MAIN shutoff is, though. Once that’s been located, I’ll be able to replace.

Here’s a peek at how I’ve stopped the leak for now. It’s janky, i know, but it should keep us from wasting water.

8 Likes

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Hmmm… maybe we should have some emergency maps. Water, gas shutoff. Electric shut off etc.

6 Likes

It isn’t janky if it works.

2 Likes

If we use (or should use) that valve frequently, it might be a good idea to swap it out with a 90 degree ball valve. Much easier to turn off and on, and more positive action.

5 Likes

The shut off for that side of the building is in the boiler room, south wall, between the chimney and water heater above the tunnel entrance…… I think. I think there’s a sign above it, but don’t quote me.

3 Likes

There may be a shutoff in the space between the kiln room and the print room. At least that is where the plumbing runs.

Thanks! I should be able to make that repair tomorrow. And i agree with David. The original valve is not meant for such constant on/off usage.

3 Likes

A SharkBite fitting is the no-brainer, but I have all the stuff if you want to sweat in a copper fitting (or if you want someone to do it).

In a situation where the valve is physically mounted to something else, I think a shark bite would be fine. I’m a little hesitant to rely on it for something that people will be constantly yanking on though. Not my call though.

I had a situation where I had to mount a tub spout with a sharkbite. This is one of those where you have to pull down on the ring around the spout to divert to the shower. I thought it would last a month with daily tugging on it. Now at 3 years and counting, and not a drip. Not what I expected, but those can really grip sometimes.

Problem resolved. Good for another 3000 twists. Give or take.

6 Likes

I had to, you made me do it.

Doug, thank you very much for taking care of the repair. It looks great.

1 Like