Powder coat

Where would I find a list of powder coat colors?

2 Likes

Steve McHugh is in the process of organizing the powders!
I will ask him to post his progress!

3 Likes

Ceramics has nice samples of each glaze available as a chip. Perhaps, over time as each color is used for a project, a sample color chip could also be sprayed and baked?

3 Likes

Here’s the list I created last July. As you can see, everything’s an estimate, and it was last July, so…take that into account. :smile:

As for the color chip idea-- that is also something I’ve been working on, but life got in the way. I talked to Steve about it previously and he was gung ho, but I don’t know where he is on the project right now.

With powder coat it’s a little tricky because some versions are meant to be an overlay of another color rather than used by themselves, and it’s not always clear when that’s the case.

And even when they’re not intended to be an overlay, some colors just look better if there’s a base coat of white under them.

So ideally I’d like to see three chips for each color-- one with the color by itself, one over black, and one over white.

The spreadsheet includes some guesswork where the existing bucket or box didn’t have a label, or had a label written on it. My goal was to get everything into a bucket to cut down on humidity (and to standardize the storage, so you could have sturdy containers that stack), so that’s why you’ll see some mentions of humidity indicators and dessicants.

3 Likes

Actually, I see that Steve’s already made a shelf of small amounts of each color, so that’ll give you a better idea of what’s available than an outdated spreadsheet.

4 Likes

Thank you to both Gretchen and Steve! Im looking forward to completing a project, and the information is SUPER helpful.

1 Like

Please note that any powder or paint that claims to be “like chrome” isn’t.

1 Like

This quail is the first thing that I ever powder coated (no, I didn’t make it). I used chrome and then a dusting of orange on top of that. I didn’t try very hard to clean it before powder coating. So take that for what it’s worth. :smile:

4 Likes

From what he said recently, he’s on top of it! I’m sure he’ll catch you up!

We didn’t discuss that… but it’s an excellent idea!

@Paula Right? What a HUGE difference!

2 Likes