Powder coat storage

Yep, posting about it again. In addition to needing to go through and organize the powder, we need to have it in sealable containers to keep moisture out.

To that end I got a bunch of 3.5 and 5 gallon buckets and gamma seal lids, but…well, you can see the enormity of the issue here.

We need more buckets! So many more! And we need BIGGER buckets! Like, 10, maybe even 20 gallon! And they all need to be sealable!

Buckets aren’t that expensive, but even $4 a bucket adds up. Those gamma seal lids are $6-something at Menards, which is the cheapest place I’ve found them.

So…help? :face_holding_back_tears: Anybody have some they want to donate?

Btw I did take the square plastic jars from the garage, but haven’t yet found lids that will fit. They’re a good size and shape for smaller storage in or next to the booth…if we can find lids for them.

5 Likes

Hi. If you need help with the organizing of this, let me know if be more than happy to help make the powder coat area a better place. Also do you think if we could 3d an adapter for the smaller mason jar ones to use for powder coating or are they to small
The reason i say the small ones is we have lids to seal them after

2 Likes

I’ll drop some buckets and lids off tomorrow.

3 Likes

Well, despite a setback from me stupidly deciding to place my hand between a 50lb box of powder coat and the metal rack as I was trying to load the box onto the upper shelf, some good progress was made last night.

That was only possible due to @gemma donating buckets and icing my hand (I ordered some ice packs this morning to keep in the freezer) like Florence Nightingale if Florence Nightingale were into powder coating.

And then the heroic @pinbot stepped up to load 900(ish) boxes, bins, and buckets back onto the shelves with an efficiency that Atlas would’ve envied, in a meaningful order, as I wrote down inventory.

I’m planning to come back in this evening to move more powder into buckets, and get the inventory into a single legible location rather than a series of cut-up notecards.

Also I think this might be the type of those square larger cannisters? But I’m not positive, so I’m also not positive on which type of lid will fit them. I just know it needs to be threaded, and 3" diameter.

I think also we’ll be needing some tiny scoops, like for ground coffee, to use when transferring powder to the jar used on the gun and prevent the clouds that come with pouring as much as possible.

If you asked me which of the clear plastic storage on that site I’d prefer for smaller quantity storage of powder coat, I’d probably go with this.

5 Likes