Powder coat mess— help?

So I’ve been having some trouble with the powder coat gun— it’s emitting powder coat in big clouds, which gets it all over the inside of the booth as well as outside. Don’t know what’s causing it. It happens with my own gun as well, and I assume it’s something with the nozzle, but they have different nozzles so…?

Also, is it okay to use the shop vac from the wood shop to clean it up? Brooms/brushes aren’t up to the job.

1 Like

Afraid that it’s not okay to use the woodshop vacuum. Maybe more vacs are on the horizon?

Moisture in the powder maybe?

large clouds are often caused by incorrect air pressure. Do you know what psi you are running?

Well, shoot. I guess I can bring in a hand vac from home. Might be willing to spring for a shop vac dedicated to the hot shop, though-- unless there’s an inherent fire risk even without possible combination with sawdust (which I assume is the concern with using the woodshop vac).

I don’t think so. I keep all powder containers sealed before and after using them.

No idea. I’m using the same air hose in the hot shop as always-- but maybe it’s changed? Seems like a possibility if both guns are having the same issue. @rustin.atkeisson, do you know if the pressure might have changed?

Preasure seems a very likely candidate. Just a turn of the dial.
Are the exhaust fans working consistently again?

The pressure should be at 15psi on that drop, but I have not checked it since moving the air line for the shelf.

It just takes turning the knob on top of the regulator to change the pressure.

1 Like

There are 682 shop vacs in varying states of repair in the west hall janitors closet. Perhaps one of those could be repurposed for powder cleanup?

4 Likes

Powder for powder coating is potentially explosive, even more so than sawdust and also can easily escape through some cloth bag filters making a bigger mess than started with.

Certified explosion proof and multiple filtering layer vacuum systems are highly recommended for powder cleanup.

5 Likes

Hmmm, so about $4-10k, it looks like. Well, brush and dustpan it is, then! :grinning:

1 Like