Powder coat bottles/ 3d print?

The name brand white plastic bottles that screw to the bottom of the Eastwood powder coat gun are about $25 shipped on both Amazon and the Eastwood website for 3 bottles. I heard a rumor that the bottles were also used in the pharmaceutical industry and were much cheaper if purchased from companies that supply them. Has anyone ever bought a generic version and do you have a link to where you bought them or the specs? I know that the Eastwood bottles are 8 ounce but I don’t know the specific threads per inch or the size of the opening at the top.

As another avenue for obtaining some new bottles, does anyone that has experience with 3d printing know if it is possible to “easily” 3d print some replacements?

There are at least 4 different colors of blue powder on the shelves but no bottles of blue and no empty bottles. I’d like to use one or maybe all of the blues. Im trying to make that happen in a cost effective way.

Thanks!

4 Likes

Honestly I’d suggest checking with local pharmacies about their empties. A microfiber cloth would easily clean tablet residue and capsule bottles probably wouldn’t even have residue.

1 Like

You might be right. I’d have to have one of the bottles as an example of what we need and honestly, the big chains probably have policies against giving away empties. The locally owned ones may be the best bet.

1 Like

On stlfinder.com by searching “Eastwood powder coating” there is a bunch of different stuff that pops up for 3d print. I haven’t found a complete bottle yet, but there are a couple adapters for using more common available bottles.

That adapter uses 32oz PET clear bottles which are available for about $1.50 each in clear so you can see the colors. It says they hold a full pound of powder.

I haven’t learned to powder coat yet, so I am not sure what would work best. We have multiple people that can make a 3d design too if needed.

4 Likes

I think i need to look at the gun and compare it to these photos but it sort of looks like, rather than just screwing on to the current threads, this requires some modification to the gun we have. I’m not authorized to do that but thanks for the lead. I’ll look at Thingiverse a bit more in the wee hours.

2 Likes

If you 3D print, It would be good use for the Yellow ABS . Use lots of perimeters. The neck is the weak point. Says Mr. Obvious.

I’m not sure if I totally understand the issue, but can the threads on the gun be measured for diameter and pitch so you know what threads to use for the 3D print?
Also, if an adaptor can be 3D printed to fit the gun, can it also be printed to fit any other bottle you choose to use, such as a well washed and dried soda bottle? Putting the printed adaptor on the bottle then screw it into the gun.

Ive barely spent any time designing with 3d programs. That doesnt mean that I can’t but i have alot of other projects going and this woukd be a last resort for me at this time.

I’ll look into measuring the threads too.

1 Like

I noticed the other day that visual arts uses the same style of container for some of their paints. We might have to see if someone has a few empties we could try fitting on to the gun.

It’s a bit ridiculous how cheap the pull bottles are in comparison to the Eastwood branded bottles.

2 Likes

It is ridiculous but I’m not terribly interested in buying these bottles in bulk either. Wouldn’t it be nice if we could just buy 20 and not 50 or 144?

Here is the official parameters of the Eastwood bottle, one of them I have deduced. It’s an 8 ounce, 625cc bottle with a 53-400 opening. 8 ounce comes from the Eastwood website. 625cc is found on the bottom of some of the bottles in the metal shop. Im not 100% on the opening but the outside diameter of the cap measured at 55mm and the inside diameter of the cap measured 50 mm. These measurements were taken with our digital calipers in the machine shop. (They seem to have some sort of malfunction where the screen resets when the jaws are opened or closed quickly btw and I don’t see a low battery icon).

Every distributor website I looked at seem to only have this bottle opening as an option anywhere in the 50mm range which is why i am guessing that’s it.

1 Like

The battery is dead

Well damn! I didn’t see the battery icon i swear. Haha

But it really was the most likely cause i suppose.

1 Like

Not everything has a low battery indicator. When the TV remote stops working, do you know how I know it’s the battery?

Mine beeps. Beep beep!

2 Likes

The ones i have at work and my personal calipers at home both have it but I see your point.

Thank you for taking care of it.

1 Like

I tried ordering a bunch but it says out of stock until April.
Ordering a ridiculous amount from china is sounding better and better.
Could keep 100 and resell the other 14,900 and you’d never need another one.

We could try to 3d print some in similar color coded bottles. Might be difficult to clean out to change colors though if you ever wanted too. Might be issues with moisture.
I’ve made some 3d printed water tight stuff but it would be a pain to do for a bunch of bottles.

1 Like

Would anyone in Visual Arts know where they got their bottles?

1 Like

Does the gun have a broken lid? It seems like there was an issue with the bottle staying tight when I took the class. If it’s broken should we order a bunch of 16oz or 32oz bottles from ULine and modify one of the lids to work on the gun?

1 Like

That is odd about the lid on the gun. I have a small project that I can test it out on Friday and see what’s going on.

1 Like

I used the gun last night, the bottle stayed tight for me.
I put a box of the right size bottles with the boxes of bulk powder, feel free to help yourselves. I got them from US Plastic, ended up costing about $2/each for the bottle with shipping.

7 Likes