Polyethylene Foam on the Laser Cutter

I don’t see EPE on either the banned or approved materials list. Has anybody cut it before? If so, how did it turn out?

Polyethylene Foam - Laser Cutting & Engraving | ULS says this:
Polyethylene foam (PE foam or PEF), sometimes referred to as expanded polyethylene (EPE), is a strong and stiff closed cell foam. Laser processing of polyethylene foam is possible with either a 9.3 or 10.6 micron CO2 laser with little appreciable difference in process quality. The energy from a 1.06 micron fiber laser is not readily absorbed by polyethylene foam and is not recommended for laser processing. Laser cutting of polyethylene foam with a CO2 laser creates a clean cut with no discoloration. Laser engraving of polyethylene foam with a CO2 laser produces depth with defined features. Marking of a polyethylene foam is not recommended using the 9.3, 10.6, or 1.06 micron wavelength.

2 Likes

I’m not aware of anyone cutting it before. From what I can find it should be safe. Our lasers are 10.6 micron.

I’ve been thinking of doing this for my transit cases. Just need to spend the money for the foam!

I actually cut some 18mm PE foam a few days ago. 5 passes at 30 speed and 30 power gave a decent cut. If you go too slow or use too much power the cut gets a lot wider due to the heat. Thicker pieces would benefit from using a lens with a longer focal length.